Issue Update notifications with 'groupless' JIRA users

Alan Churchward September 24, 2013

Hi,

I'm in the process of setting up JEMH for our environment. Like many JEMH users, we're interested in being able to let non-JIRA users use our JIRA system.

Originally I followed some of the 'helpdesk' JEMH tutorials. However, I thought I'd also have a try unguided ... I tend to learn better that way :)

One issue I had was that although the non-JIRA user's email address and name could be added to a custom field, I really wanted them to be classed as users within JIRA.

So, I found that if I set JEMH to create users in JIRA but not assign any groups, then they'd be treated as users in JIRA but wouldn't count against the licensed user count. Great! I got email notifications for issue creation working and commenting via email replies working for these groupless JIRA users.

But... I don't seem to be able to get JEMH to send notifications when an issue is updated (e.g. comment added, status changed, etc). For example, the JIRA audit log for an emailed comment shows

User (testuser) is not able to BROWSE the issue (is the users GROUP in the Projects Roles?) : TEST-4, ignoring as a watcher.

...which makes sense, since the user has no group membership. So, I think what I'm asking is: With these groupless JIRA users which I've got JEMH creating, can I convince JEMH to send issue update notifications to them (as the issue Reporter) despite them not being members of any group?

Thanks,

Chris

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2013

Yup you got it. As a groupless JIRA user, they have no privileges anywhere, unless you add them specifically. As they have no rights they get no notifications.

If you are auto-creating users, thats hard to do usefully. In this situation, the best option is to add an auto-join group such as 'non-jira-users' (inspired!) then add that group to either your project role (to restrict the groups usage to exactly the project you want) or thepermission scheme for wider project usage.

Notifications are the interesting, you can use JEMH to do the notifications of the JIRA 'account holder' (but non-JIRA).

I suppose it would be possible to create a multi-user picker field, and send all involved users to tht field, which would also then be involved in the permission scheme, much like the group example above. I'd probably say the group membership route would be cleaner and clearer to use.

Alan Churchward September 25, 2013

Thanks, Andy -- I think I get it...

So I should create a group (e.g. external-users) and set JEMH to auto-add created users to that group. That group should then be given the relevant permissions in the project so that notifications can be received.

As long as the user isn't in the jira-users group, they won't count against our JIRA license count --is that correct?

Thanks for your help,

Chris

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2013

Yes, but being more specific, so long as the group you allocate is not listed in the global permissions that include 'right to use' the user wont be allowed to login, with will be usable remotely via email.

Excellent.... This seems to be working fine now!

Thanks for your (speedy!) assistance!

Cheers,

Chris

Ah - just noticed the tickbox... that's done!

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 25, 2013

great, please mark answer correct for others to find?

0 votes
David Skreiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 16, 2014

Hmm. I guess this is a bug in Notification helper: Users who are not in any groups show up in Notification Helper as "should've been sent the mail".

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events