Issue Update event not getting triggered on bulk Update

Aashish R September 29, 2016

While I was trying to run a script using Script Runner on Issue Update event, came across that the issue update event is not getting triggered on bulk Update in JIRA.

8 answers

0 votes
Pesky Toddler September 16, 2020

Hello guys, 

Coming back after 4 years with same question. Let me explain the scenario @Aashish R @Jonny Carter 

So we have a scheduler on SCRIPTRUNNER which will run at a particular time (assume 00:00) and it's task is to bulk update issues. The issues that I'm fetching are based on JQL. So I run a JQL and get some issues -> put a loop -> edit issue -> update some field. 

We also have a listener which listens to ISSUE_UPDATE event on SCRIPTRUNNER and updates the a particular custom field with a new value. 

Question is:

Whenever the Scheduler runs and tries to update issues in bulk it must trigger our listener and update with new values.   

But our listener is triggering only on manual bulk issue update (i.e issue navigator -> tools -> bulk edit issues) and not when our scheduler runs. I'm expecting it to update all issues with respective new values (that we get on doing some calculation) when scheduler runs.

Stuck at this. What do you suggest? 

P.S: We are on implementing this on JIRA server. 

TIA.

0 votes
Jonny Carter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2016

See the comment thread at In Jira Notification Schemes, what does the event "Issue Updated" cover?.

Basically, whether an issue transition fires the Issue Updated event or not is dependent on the workflow.

0 votes
Aashish R October 12, 2016

Q: The issueUpdate event is not getting triggered when we move issue from one state to another state. That is, suppose if we move the issue from To Do to In Progress state, issueUpdate event is not getting triggered even though some of the fields are getting updated during transition.

0 votes
Jonny Carter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2016

I'm still confused. I think you may need to start from the beginning and explain in detail what the problem is, and what behaviour you're expecting. Edit to the question wouldn't go awry.

0 votes
Aashish R October 6, 2016

ohh...my statement was misleading.

Actually, on transitions, the issueUpdate is not getting triggered. Any how the transition comes under IssueUpdate event right?

0 votes
Jonny Carter
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 6, 2016

I hear you, but I'm saying I was able to do a bulk update, just as you did, and an IssueUpdated event fired for all of the issues in the bulk update.

We'll need some more details to figure out why it's not working in your case.

The most helpful thing would be the code of your script (maybe the script is running, but not providing the output you expect). Second most helpful would be why you think the event isn't firing. What behaviour do you expect from your script that you're not seeing?

Also, details on any troubleshooting steps you've taken would help. For example, have you tried putting log.warn statements in your script and seeing if those come up in the JIRA logs?

0 votes
Aashish R October 5, 2016

Thanks,for update. But my concern is not on simple issue update. But if we apply some filter and got some number of issues say 23 issues are listed. Now to apply some changes we can bulk update all issues under Tools-> Bulk changes all 23 issues. In that situation if we update all 23 issues simultaneously,  this IssueUpdate script will not run.

0 votes
Jonny Carter
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 5, 2016

So, I ran a simple script in a test instance and couldn't reproduce this problem. 

log.debug("Issue updated event fired")
log.debug(event.getIssue().key)

Set that to run on the Issue Updated event, and got the responses I expected.

Maybe some more details would be illuminating? What was the nature of your update, JIRA and ScriptRunner versions, etc.?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events