Issue Update event not getting triggered on bulk Update

While I was trying to run a script using Script Runner on Issue Update event, came across that the issue update event is not getting triggered on bulk Update in JIRA.

7 answers

So, I ran a simple script in a test instance and couldn't reproduce this problem. 

log.debug("Issue updated event fired")
log.debug(event.getIssue().key)

Set that to run on the Issue Updated event, and got the responses I expected.

Maybe some more details would be illuminating? What was the nature of your update, JIRA and ScriptRunner versions, etc.?

Thanks,for update. But my concern is not on simple issue update. But if we apply some filter and got some number of issues say 23 issues are listed. Now to apply some changes we can bulk update all issues under Tools-> Bulk changes all 23 issues. In that situation if we update all 23 issues simultaneously,  this IssueUpdate script will not run.

I hear you, but I'm saying I was able to do a bulk update, just as you did, and an IssueUpdated event fired for all of the issues in the bulk update.

We'll need some more details to figure out why it's not working in your case.

The most helpful thing would be the code of your script (maybe the script is running, but not providing the output you expect). Second most helpful would be why you think the event isn't firing. What behaviour do you expect from your script that you're not seeing?

Also, details on any troubleshooting steps you've taken would help. For example, have you tried putting log.warn statements in your script and seeing if those come up in the JIRA logs?

ohh...my statement was misleading.

Actually, on transitions, the issueUpdate is not getting triggered. Any how the transition comes under IssueUpdate event right?

I'm still confused. I think you may need to start from the beginning and explain in detail what the problem is, and what behaviour you're expecting. Edit to the question wouldn't go awry.

Q: The issueUpdate event is not getting triggered when we move issue from one state to another state. That is, suppose if we move the issue from To Do to In Progress state, issueUpdate event is not getting triggered even though some of the fields are getting updated during transition.

See the comment thread at In Jira Notification Schemes, what does the event "Issue Updated" cover?.

Basically, whether an issue transition fires the Issue Updated event or not is dependent on the workflow.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Tuesday in Marketplace Apps

If you’re an Atlassian app developer, you’ll want to know about Atlas Camp!

This September 6-7, hundreds of Atlassian App developers will flock to Barcelona Spain to build skills, discover product roadmaps, meet face-to-face with the Atlassian team, and learn how to extend t...

118 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you