Is there a way to see completed sprints on the User Story Map?

In the screenshots and demo videos, it seemed like all applicable sprints will show up on the story map if there are stories in those sprints with matching Epics.

On my story map I only see the current active sprint and Unscheduled swimlanes only when I select the Sprint Swimlanes view.

What other setting/config is needed to see completed sprints and corresponding jira items?

4 answers

We need a complete story map to understand:

• What we have done
  • What we are doing
  • What we are going to do

(see Creating an Agile Roadmap using Story mapping - Andrea Gigante)

UPDATE: Nick Muldoon / Easy Agile updated the link above as per Andrea's request below

Thanks for using my original article as source of information/reference, I really appreciate, but I would simply like to inform you that Scrum Alliance removed the original article and I had to re-publish it in LinkedIn.
I would appreciate if you could update the reference to the new url:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/creating-agile-roadmap-using-story-mapping-andrea-gigante/

Thanks again
Andrea

Hi Balki,

Today we only show active and future sprints on the story map.

Completed sprints are not shown, even when the 'Done' Status Category is selected, as many teams have hundreds or even thousands of issues in completed sprints and they don't want all of that noise. It also causes a performance issue if we request thousands of issues from JIRA.

We do have a story on the backlog to show a few of the more recent sprints, say the past 3. Would that be useful?

Thanks Balki,
Nick Muldoon, Product Manager
Easy Agile

Thanks Nick.  We intentionally keep our projects to <12 sprints.  And want to use your product to bring visibility for the entire project.  So, our ideal is to see all sprints.  Maybe show 3-5 by default but be to configure a higher # for others like us?

Balki

Thanks Balki, noted on the story. I'll follow up here and let you know when we explore this.

Have a great week,
Nick

Hi Nick,

We also need to see all sprints to get the whole picture.

Do you have a solution, yet?

Best regards,

Alex

Thanks @Alex.

Keen to know - how many past sprints are you keen to see?

Regards,
Nick

It would be very useful for us too. Any ideas?

Thank you

Hi @Rodrigo Bertet Ramos,

Understood. It is on the backlog to find a compelling solution for this. Nothing to share at this stage though.

Regards,
Nick Muldoon, Product Manager, Easy Agile

Any updates on this?

My team just started using JIRA and immediately bought in to Easy Agile Story Maps as we were using a stand-alone tool for the story mapping.  

As per Alex' post, out team uses story maps to see the whole app's progress in context, so a full view (at least several Releases, not sprints) for us.

It's enough of an issue that we might continue to use the other tool, which has a JIRA sync integration.  It's far from optimal, but we use storymapping for strategic, long-term planning so a future-only view doesn't work for us.

Hi Tony,

At present when selecting 'Show Done Issues' we only show the done issues that are not in a Released Version or a Completed Sprint. We made this choice due to a possible performance impact where teams have years of old issues. 

We have a story on the backlog to find an elegant approach that shows these done issues, and I've made a note to follow up here once it is available.

Thanks Tony.

Kind Regards,
Seamus Kieran
Easy Agile Support Team

Thanks Seamus,

I appreciate the potential performance issues for teams with large project ongoing projects.

Keeping a default to the current setting (of hiding Done issues in past sprints and releases), but allowing to select releases or sprints to display may provide a decent middle ground for the feature.

As I mentioned, we honestly lose much of the value of story mapping in our workflow if we can't use it as a complete view of how much progress we've made through the whole of the project 

Like 1 person likes this

This is what we purchased the tool intending to do as well. We're working on a short release timetable and need to be able to see what was promised vs. what was delivered.

It would be very valuable for us to see issues completed by version (so we could hide completed stories that aren't in the current version while still maintaining performance) and not just by active sprint.

I'd also appreciate the ability to have some color coding or visual differentiation between completed stories, stories in progress, and stories still in the backlog in order to give the team a progress report on the version at a glance.

Hi Tony and Nicole,

Thanks for your feedback, I have added your comments to the feature suggestion for a retrospective view on our backlog. I'll follow up here if/when we end up releasing it. 

Nicole, in terms of colour-coding, would the status category lozenge as seen on the story map be sufficient for your purposes? I'll add a suggestion to our backlog now for you.

Kind Regards,

Seamus Kieran

Easy Agile Support Team

Like 1 person likes this

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 29, 2018 in Marketplace Apps

How to set up an incident workflow from the VP of Engineering at Sentry

Hey Atlassian community, I help lead engineering at Sentry, an open-source error-tracking and monitoring tool that integrates with Jira. We started using Jira Software Cloud internally last year, a...

1,686 views 3 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you