Is there a way to see completed sprints on the User Story Map?

Balki Kodarapu June 15, 2017

In the screenshots and demo videos, it seemed like all applicable sprints will show up on the story map if there are stories in those sprints with matching Epics.

On my story map I only see the current active sprint and Unscheduled swimlanes only when I select the Sprint Swimlanes view.

What other setting/config is needed to see completed sprints and corresponding jira items?

6 answers

2 votes
Deleted user September 7, 2017

We need a complete story map to understand:

• What we have done
  • What we are doing
  • What we are going to do

(see Creating an Agile Roadmap using Story mapping - Andrea Gigante)

UPDATE: Nick Muldoon / Easy Agile updated the link above as per Andrea's request below

Andrea Gigante July 13, 2018

Thanks for using my original article as source of information/reference, I really appreciate, but I would simply like to inform you that Scrum Alliance removed the original article and I had to re-publish it in LinkedIn.
I would appreciate if you could update the reference to the new url:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/creating-agile-roadmap-using-story-mapping-andrea-gigante/

Thanks again
Andrea

Nick Muldoon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2018

Done. Thanks @Andrea Gigante.

1 vote
Teagan
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 18, 2019

Hi @Balki Kodarapu @Tony Semana @Rodrigo Stratio @Nicole Thayer

Teagan stepping in for Seamus and Nick here. 

First of all, I wanted to say a big thank you for all of your feedback and patience around this piece of functionality. It's loud and clear the ability view completed Sprints/released Versions is vital for a wholistic view of your products/projects. 

As you have all provided such valuable feedback so far, we wanted to put forward our ideas around how we could provide this functionality for your feedback and consideration. 

Use Case:

You have told us that having a wholistic view of completed Sprints/released Versions is important to you for reasons such as:

• Providing visibility to an entire Project
  • Strategic long-term planning which requires a firm grasp on previous efforts
  • Confusion during deployment when writing release notes
  • Regulatory compliance issues
  • Quality assurance
  • Onboarding/providing an overview of the product to new members joining the teams
  • Identifying ‘carry over’ from Sprint to Sprint/Version to Version

Product Manager / ability to see closed sprints/released versions for a wholistic view of my Project

Acceptance Criteria:

• Scrum or Kanban Board
  • Under the ‘Swimlanes’ button, we include an option for users to include ‘Completed Sprints’ or ‘Released Versions’ onto their Story Map view
  • Users must select which completed Sprints or released Versions they would like to appear on their Story Map (we do not display them all by default) 
  • Swimlane Header: Sprint Name / Completed DATE or Version Released DATE / Lozenge
  • Released Versions/Completed Sprints shown in reverse chronological order on the Story Map i.e. the last completed Sprint would appear at the top of the story map, followed by the current active Sprint etc.
  • Show all Issues scheduled into completed Sprints/released Versions irregardless of their status category (In Progress, To Do, Done)
  • Carry Over: If an issue has bounced incomplete from Sprint to Sprint, and is currently scheduled in an Active Sprint, we would show the issue X times on the Story Map. The issue however cannot be moved from Completed Sprints or Released Versions into Active or Future Sprints.
  • Completed Sprints/Released Versions readonly
  • Show Sprint Statistics as at End of Sprint

Here is a v1 mockup of what this might look like in product:

Completed Sprints_Released Versions Mockup.png

Big Questions:

• Would you like us to save your selected Sprints/Versions client side, so that when you return to the story map, those completed Sprints/Versions already appear on your Story Map?
    • What would you expect to happen when you complete what was, an Active Sprint on your Story Map? Would that Sprint automatically appear alongside the other Completed Sprints you have selected on your Story Map? Would you expect to have to select that Sprint from your list of 'Completed Sprints'? 
  • Alternatively, would it be easier to simply select the last X number of Sprints to display on your Story Map? What is X? 

Thanks so much for your time and feedback. We're really looking forward to hearing your thoughts moving forward. 

Teagan Harbridge
Product Manager - Easy Agile 

Tony Semana March 19, 2019

This is great news @Teagan

Would you like us to save your selected Sprints/Versions client side, so that when you return to the story map, those completed Sprints/Versions already appear on your Story Map?

Not Necessarily for me.  I'm happy for it to go back to default behavior and specifically choose to view the previous sprints or releases

What would you expect to happen when you complete what was, an Active Sprint on your Story Map? Would that Sprint automatically appear alongside the other Completed Sprints you have selected on your Story Map? Would you expect to have to select that Sprint from your list of 'Completed Sprints'

If the view were to persist, then yes, I would expect a newly completed sprint to appear alongside the other completed sprints

Alternatively, would it be easier to simply select the last X number of Sprints to display on your Story Map? What is X

This would not be easier, IMO.  firstly, if this were the case, then X would have to be something that can be defined and changed when switching to the view.  And even if this were the case, I would have to know (or count from some other view) the sprints or releases I want to see and at that point might as well show me the picker as per the mockup.

Again, this would definitely bring me back to using this addon over the external one

Teagan
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 19, 2019

Hi @Tony Semana

Thanks for getting back so quickly and that additional feedback! I've added all of your comments to the story on our backlog for discussion moving forward with the team. 

Based off the mockup you've seen and the v1 acceptance criteria, is there anything else you would need moving forward?

Thanks again Tony, appreciate it
Teagan Harbridge

Tony Semana March 21, 2019

Based on this, I think it's a good start!  Looking forward to trying it when it becomes available!

Teagan
Marketplace Partner
March 21, 2019

Thanks @Tony Semana

I'll reach out to you here when once this is live in the product! Thanks again for all of your feedback and helping us to identify a suitable solution moving forward. 

Cheers, 
Teagan 

Teagan
Marketplace Partner
March 21, 2019

:)

0 votes
Teagan
Marketplace Partner
May 28, 2019

Hi @Balki Kodarapu @Tony Semana @Nicole Thayer 

Teagan reaching out again for @Nick Muldoon

I wanted to let you all know that we have shipped Easy Agile User Story Maps 6.0, which includes the ability to view Completed Sprints/Released Versions on the Story Map. This functionality gives you the ability to view those 'Done' issues you were previously hoping to view on the Story Map, but until now, could not. 

You can read the full release notes here. 

I wanted to say a big thank you for all of your feedback and patience while we worked on this. We'd love to hear what you think of the new functionality and where it could be better. 

Thanks again, we hope you enjoy the new release
Teagan

Philip Chen August 7, 2019

Hi @Teagan

This is great news! Is the v6.0 released to the cloud version at the moment? If not, do you have plans to do so? We really want to use the `view all stories from released versions` feature and we are using the cloud version of Jira.

Thanks!

Teagan
Marketplace Partner
August 7, 2019

Hi @Philip Chen 

The ability to view Closed Sprints and Released Versions is also available on Cloud! 

Looking forward to hearing your feedback. 

Teagan

Philip Chen August 12, 2019

Ah, thanks for your reply! I see it when showing version swimlanes.

However, is it possible to show all user stories, including the released ones, on the map when not showing version swimlanes? We want an overview of what user stories are there in the entire product.

Teagan
Marketplace Partner
August 13, 2019

Hi @Philip Chen

You are not able to view all user stories, including 'Done' issues on the Story Map when no swimlanes are enabled - the Story Map acts the same as the Jira Backlog in this regard. 

The only way to view all 'Done' issues on the Story Map, is to either have the Sprint or Version swimlanes enabled, as well as selecting all of the Closed Sprints/Released Versions from the dropdown as per the image below:

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 11.21.46 am.png

I hope that helps to clear things up for you Philip. Happy to answer any more of your questions if that is still unclear. 

Cheers, 
Teagan Harbridge 

0 votes
Tony Semana October 24, 2018

Any updates on this?

My team just started using JIRA and immediately bought in to Easy Agile Story Maps as we were using a stand-alone tool for the story mapping.  

As per Alex' post, out team uses story maps to see the whole app's progress in context, so a full view (at least several Releases, not sprints) for us.

It's enough of an issue that we might continue to use the other tool, which has a JIRA sync integration.  It's far from optimal, but we use storymapping for strategic, long-term planning so a future-only view doesn't work for us.

Seamus Kieran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2018

Hi Tony,

At present when selecting 'Show Done Issues' we only show the done issues that are not in a Released Version or a Completed Sprint. We made this choice due to a possible performance impact where teams have years of old issues. 

We have a story on the backlog to find an elegant approach that shows these done issues, and I've made a note to follow up here once it is available.

Thanks Tony.

Kind Regards,
Seamus Kieran
Easy Agile Support Team

Tony Semana October 25, 2018

Thanks Seamus,

I appreciate the potential performance issues for teams with large project ongoing projects.

Keeping a default to the current setting (of hiding Done issues in past sprints and releases), but allowing to select releases or sprints to display may provide a decent middle ground for the feature.

As I mentioned, we honestly lose much of the value of story mapping in our workflow if we can't use it as a complete view of how much progress we've made through the whole of the project 

Like Lior Rosenspitz likes this
Nicole Thayer December 12, 2018

This is what we purchased the tool intending to do as well. We're working on a short release timetable and need to be able to see what was promised vs. what was delivered.

It would be very valuable for us to see issues completed by version (so we could hide completed stories that aren't in the current version while still maintaining performance) and not just by active sprint.

I'd also appreciate the ability to have some color coding or visual differentiation between completed stories, stories in progress, and stories still in the backlog in order to give the team a progress report on the version at a glance.

Seamus Kieran
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 17, 2018

Hi Tony and Nicole,

Thanks for your feedback, I have added your comments to the feature suggestion for a retrospective view on our backlog. I'll follow up here if/when we end up releasing it. 

Nicole, in terms of colour-coding, would the status category lozenge as seen on the story map be sufficient for your purposes? I'll add a suggestion to our backlog now for you.

Kind Regards,

Seamus Kieran

Easy Agile Support Team

Like Tony Semana likes this
Tony Semana March 8, 2019

Hello,

Is there any activity on this?  We've completed 1 project with this add-in and, as mentioned, it fell quite short on expectations.  Would be very interested to know if it's even being worked on, or scheduled on a roadmap.

Tony Semana March 15, 2019
0 votes
Rodrigo Stratio June 1, 2018

It would be very useful for us too. Any ideas?

Thank you

Nick Muldoon
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2018

Hi @Rodrigo Stratio,

Understood. It is on the backlog to find a compelling solution for this. Nothing to share at this stage though.

Regards,
Nick Muldoon, Product Manager, Easy Agile

0 votes
Nick Muldoon
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 16, 2017

Hi Balki,

Today we only show active and future sprints on the story map.

Completed sprints are not shown, even when the 'Done' Status Category is selected, as many teams have hundreds or even thousands of issues in completed sprints and they don't want all of that noise. It also causes a performance issue if we request thousands of issues from JIRA.

We do have a story on the backlog to show a few of the more recent sprints, say the past 3. Would that be useful?

Thanks Balki,
Nick Muldoon, Product Manager
Easy Agile

Balki Kodarapu June 16, 2017

Thanks Nick.  We intentionally keep our projects to <12 sprints.  And want to use your product to bring visibility for the entire project.  So, our ideal is to see all sprints.  Maybe show 3-5 by default but be to configure a higher # for others like us?

Balki

Nick Muldoon
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 18, 2017

Thanks Balki, noted on the story. I'll follow up here and let you know when we explore this.

Have a great week,
Nick

Deleted user September 7, 2017

Hi Nick,

We also need to see all sprints to get the whole picture.

Do you have a solution, yet?

Best regards,

Alex

Nick Muldoon
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 7, 2017

Thanks @[deleted].

Keen to know - how many past sprints are you keen to see?

Regards,
Nick

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events