Is there a way to change issue type when I edit an issue

Etai Dori January 18, 2018

Hello,

Am looking for a way to automatically change the issue type if I add a component.

For example, if I edit an issue of type "A" and add a component "B", I would like the issue type to change to "B" on save.

I am aware of the complexity due to issues having different workflows with different statuses.

Am open to work around suggestions :)

Thank you very much in advance.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2018

Hi Etai,

So this would only work, if the source & target issue type use the *same* Jira Workflow.  If that's the case, then you should simply be able to use our 'Edit issue' action and select the 'Issue type' field from the available fields.

Your rule would looks something like this:

• Trigger: Field value changed with 'component' selected
  • JQL Condition: component = <your specific component B you want to check for>
  • Edit issue: Set the issue type to your target issue type

If the issue types are using two different workflows though, then this wont work.  This requires a multi-step workflow migration (potentially requiring user input along the way), which isn't feasible to do in an automation rule.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
 Andreas

Etai Dori January 18, 2018

Thank you Andreas.

The issues types have different workflows.

I think I can still use your suggestion.

1. Use two different types with the same workflow.

2. Automate flipping between types based on component.

3. Automate one of the types to bypass a status.

Thanks again.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events