Is there a JIRA add-on which replace screen tabs with 'Next' (button) step flow

Dela De Youngster September 27, 2017

Is there a JIRA (and JIRA Service Desk) add-on which allows improving the issue creation screen by replacing custom Screen Tabs with a 'Next' sequence page flow (similar to the user experience in most online check-out pages)?

JIRA - Replace tabs with Next flow on Create Page.png

I have searched all around but can't seem to come across any add-on that provides this feature. Most of the add-ons I've researched provide other abilities, such as; conditional display of fields, default field values, etc.

But none seem to offer this sequential display of screen tabs, which provides a much more improves user experience than having user remember to click on relevant tabs.

If anyone has any knowledge of add-ons that can do this, it will be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Dela.

1 answer

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 28, 2017

I don't believe so. Most people use the tabs to segregate fields based on functions/groups so the users wouldn't need that function. If you're looking for the initial user creation JIRA allows a Create screen so you can just put the fields the user needs to fill out at creation time. 

Dela De Youngster September 28, 2017

Thanks for the feedback Joe Pitt. Much appreciated.

Using the tabs for functional/group segregation does suffice for most situations. However, we are delving into certain realms where a good number of the fields are required and have to be filled in during creation.

I do appreciate that this is minor UI request, but it is one that potentially brings massive usability improvements in such demanding scenarios.

Sample Use Case

Consider this situation where a support request (created either in JIRA or through JIRA Service Desk) requires a very detailed entry of the problem, configuration and environment. This would have Problem specification, Hardware, OS as workflow pages (derived from their respective tabs). In conjunction with existing add-on features like conditional fields, after the user has provided the problem description and selected a category of hardware (e.g. Laptop) and OS (e.g. Windows), selecting Next (which in itself could be either greyed out or clickable dependent on whether the hardware or some other field is required) would then present the Hardware page with only those fields relevant to the prior selected Hardware field value. Same with the flow to the OS screen.

This way, the user is easily and naturally guided though the whole flow of creating a relatively complicated issue, while still capturing the inputs for all the required (and dependent) fields in one fell swoop.

I will leave this question open for a while and see if any others may have clues as to the existence of such a feature. I'm also in the process of inquiring from a number of related add-on developers to see if this is already available in their products or is on their roadmap. Will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Dela.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events