Is it possible to copy a custom field value to for example the summary field in Automation?

Christian Axén February 25, 2017

I would like to copy the custom field value to the summary field.

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2017

Hi Christian,

Using Automation for JIRA, copying a field into the summary of an issue is actually not too hard with the use of smart-values.

In the summary you can reference the original issue and extract the value. Use a value like:

Your summary plus {{triggerIssue.fields.Custom Field Name}}

Simply replace Custom Field Name with the name of the field you want to copy.

This can be used in the summary of a sub-task using the "Create Sub-task action" or in the summary of an issue using the "Create Issue" action.

Harold Prestage August 24, 2019

Hi Nick, could I do the same thing when copying a custom fields text to a comment visible to the customer and how would I go about it?

Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2019

Hi Harold,

You can do this using the Comment action. Set the permissions accordingly and then in the body of the comment use something like:

Hi {{reporter.displayName.split(" ").first}},

The custom field value is: {{triggerIssue.Custom Field Name}}

Cheers,
Harold

Hope that is what you were after.

Cheers,
Nick

Like Harold Prestage likes this
Harold Prestage August 26, 2019

Hi Nick

It's not working, attached a screenshot of the current automation rule

See where I am going wrong and advise please

Regards

HScreenshot_1.jpg

Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2019

Hi Harold,

In order to see the new Resolution Comment, you would need to use the "Refetch issue data" action before adding the comment.

Edits are not immediately visible until refetched from the server.

Cheers,
Nick

Harold Prestage September 2, 2019

Hi Nick 

I managed to get this to work, thanks for your all your help its much appreciated. Attached is a screenshot of my rule to get the resolution comment visible to  the customerScreenshot_2.jpg

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events