Is Discovery able to detect new devices connected to the network w/out the use of credentials/SNMP

NCFMS Renewals January 19, 2018

We currently use Insight as our CMDB (which is awesome btw). 

We have been wanting to purchase Insight Discovery to use along side Insight, but one requirement/justification for the purchase is that it can detect new devices connected to the network without the use of credentials or SNMP ...and in real time (or as close to real time as possible). ie a personal computer connecting to our business VPN.

Any info on this would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Lara

2 answers

0 votes
Christian_Solle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2018

Hi,

I don't think that this will be possible (for any kind of asset scanner in that way)

Without credentials you are able to get some basic informations (via DNS reverse lookup)

and maybe the MAC via (arp cache).

Or you will get an "Unknown Host" Object (Ping successful but credentials missing)

Anyway the Discovery-Tool is setup with IP-Ranges that will be scan to configured time settings.

Now you want to "permanent" scanning (or sending ICMP Request) to any possible

IP-Address in your network? That sounds not like the correct way.

// Christian

0 votes
Rickard Hyllenstam January 21, 2018

Remember that you can download an try Discovery with trial license. It will run a complete scan but limited to 10 hosts. So if you configure it to find IP's you are interested in to test it should find it for you. 

For windows machines the WMI protocol is used, however according to documentation it requires credentials due to Microsoft security. 

https://documentation.riada.se/display/ID/Discovery+System+Requirements

I would download a trial version if I where you!

Br,

Rickard

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events