Integrations with JIRA Software and Victorops

Devon Ainsworth September 6, 2017

I'm trying to intergateJIRA Software with Victorops. What I want to do, is to be able to create a JIRA Story on my department board from Victorops..

Since my company does not have Service Desk, I was told by Victorops we can use the Custom URL option

https://help.victorops.com/knowledge-base/victorops-jira-integration/

My question is, how would the custom url be formated? I can not find any documetation on the subject.

In the Victorops documentation they provided this URL, but I think this is for the Service Desk software.

https://YOUR_DOMAIN_HERE.atlassian.net/secure/CreateIssueDetails!init.jspa?pid=10506&issuetype=1&description=${{state_message}}&summary=${{entity_id}}l&labels=${{labels}}

Thank you for any help

Devon

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 7, 2017

The URL would be in the same kind of format regardless if you have JIRA Service Desk or JIRA Software.  

The documentation on that page just mentions that if you're using the email endpoint for integration that you would need JIRA Service Desk because it had a different mail handler that could create requests from unlicensed users.

But if you're still looking at the URL link integration method, the example listed there shows an atlassian.net address which means this would be a JIRA Cloud instance.  But the same should still be possible if you're running JIRA Server (if you're running JIRA server, then the site would be hosted on your end and have a domain other than atlassian.net or jira.com).

We also have a KB on Creating issues from direct HTML links that might be helpful in this regard as well.  It does better explain how you can pass different variables in the URL format.

Devon Ainsworth September 12, 2017

Andy, 

Thank you for the reply.. I'm looking for the easiest way to set this up. I do not need the custom URL, unless I have to do it that way.. 

I have followed the VictorOps =>JIRA (Email Endpoint) steps, but cant seem to get the email story creation working. 

Please let me know what I'm missing. 

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 13, 2017

Hi Devon,

Since you're trying to use the email endpoint, it appears that VictorOps documentation is aware that this specific feature requires the JIRA Service Desk application:

VictorOps =>JIRA (Email Endpoint)

This integration requires that you setup JIRA email that creates and updates Issues. This is only available with JIRA Service Desk. For more information see the documentation HERE.

While the standard JIRA Core/JIRA Software mail handlers can technically create and update issues in JIRA, in order for them do to so the email sender has to be a licensed user in JIRA.  If they are not, the JIRA won't process that message.

But with JIRA Service Desk, the mail handlers work differently.  Service Desk is designed to serve a large customer base.  As such the customer accounts in Service Desk do not count towards your license count for that product.  If you have lots of different users that would be sending email to this inbox being checked by JIRA and you don't want to have to have each of these using up a JIRA Software license seat, I can see why Service Desk would be a better solution.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events