Insight permissions

Petra Kolísková March 15, 2018

Hello,

I would like to ask about permissions in Insight. 

We created Insight Object Schema for asset management and we would like to manage permissions for this Object Schema. I read your documentation for permissions (https://documentation.riada.se/display/ICV49/Insight+Permissions), but I couldn't find anything related to our problem.

We want our JIRA users only to see their related Insight Objects on their JIRA profile ( also we want them to see their related objects in jira for connecting issues), but not to see the whole object schema, where are all those objects and object types. We tried to give them the Role of Object Schema user, but they saw whole object schema (the couldn't see only hidden attributes), then we tried enable object schema users permissions for service desk, but it also didn't work as we expected.

Is here any possible way to manage permissions like that?

Thank you very much for you response.

Petra

3 answers

1 vote
Petra Kolísková March 21, 2018

Hi Alexandr,

thank you for your response.

Unfortunatelly I'm not sure, if I described our problem enough. :-) I will try to describe a little bit better.

We would like our employees could see on their JIRA profiles that they have some Objects related (for example they could see, that one phone and one notebook is related to their profile by their name), but not to see the Insight Object Schema itself. Because if we tried to restrict for them to not to see the Object Schema itself, they couldn't even see the related Objects on their profile. 

Is there any way how to do that?

I hope I explained better than before. :-)

Thank you very much for your answer.

Best regards.

Petra

Alexander Sundström
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2018

Hi Petra,

I see, thanks for the clarification. That is basically not possible, if you have permissions for a schema to see the objects but not edit, you will have access to the schema, and the objects types that matchers your permission level.

What I would recommend you to is to add this as a feature request at https://jira.riada.se

Following this link, there is a basic query showing some requests made filter by the keyword permissions: https://jira.riada.se/browse/ICS-239?jql=text%20~%20%22permissions%22%20and%20project%20%3D%20%22Insight%20Core%20-%20Server%22%20and%20type%20%3D%20%22New%20Feature%22%20

Cheers!
Alexander

0 votes
a.khani May 22, 2022

same problem

is there any update ?

0 votes
Alexander Sundström
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2018

Hi Petra,

Just want to refer you to the latest documentation for permissions, as the one you used is for 4.9: https://documentation.riada.se/insight/latest/insight-administrator-s-guide/insight-permissions

There might not be any big difference, but just so you know.

Regarding your question, For the user profile, what is listed is the objects belonging to object types that has either a User or Group attribute, where the user is. You will not see objects connected to the User that is assigned in tickets.

And for permissions, if you give the user the role of Object Schema user, they see all object types for that Schema, expect for the object types where the permissions has been set to restrict access. What you need to do then is to restrict access to the object types that they should not see.

Let me know if you need more information, if you feel like this answered your question, please mark it as accepted :)

Cheers
Alexander

Hartwig Kosbab September 16, 2020

Hi Alexander, I have the same request. I want users only to see their own objects (in a certain object type). Something similar to issue security or the permission browse user permission to reporter.

Cheers 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events