Insight - parent with inheritance enabled => label isn't unique any more

Sanja Vukovic February 20, 2018

Now when I have parent (servers) with inheritance enabled, I get multiple rows for one server. Import doesn't check whether server with that name already exists. How to enforce that label (server name) stays unique during all the imports? For parent and all children?

edit: Or if there is a way to remove duplicates after imports, that can condense 3 objects with different fields all togeter? Each import updates different fields, but instead updating existing object, it appends another with the same name.

1 answer

0 votes
Alexander Sundström
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2018

Hi Sanja,

There is a checkbox for making Name unique if you configure the Name attribut. This setting affects the whole inheritance structure, making that Name unique for all inherited object types.

Best Regards
Alexander

Alexander Sundström
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2018

Also, when you get "duplicated" objects on an import, it's related to what you set as the identifier. If you have 3 different imports, you need to make sure that what is used as an identifier is correct.

Basically if you set something as an identifier, and that is not found in Insight on any objects, a new object is created.

Best Regards
Alexander

Sanja Vukovic February 26, 2018

Thank you! I checked "unique". This doesn't work the way I wanted. Now I get this message:

Unable to update references on object rbadns02 (null), ObjectTypeId: 171, Attributes: (...etc etc...) with actions: [CREATE, HAVING_OBJECT_REFERENCE] due to validation exception. Check your attribute configuration <rlabs-insight-attribute-1454,The attribute 'Name' has to be unique>

This is server already existing in another child. I want this import to make update regardless of the child it belongs to. Is there is some option that I can check so that the import makes the update?

Best regards,
Sanja

Alexander Sundström
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 26, 2018

Hi Sanja,

I think you encounter this issue as you have something as an identifier that is not found in Insight, and the Name for the object is already in use, as such, it's not allowed to be created as the Name has to be unique. In other words, it's trying to create a new attribute, not update, and that is not allowed as the Name for the new object is already in use.

So you need to look at what is used as the identifier, that it can identify the corresponding object in Insight.

Best Regards
Alexander

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events