Insight - Service Desk: Updating an object when a related service desk request is raised

Jonathan Laberge November 21, 2017

Hey, hoping for some help on this.

Example scenario: User requests a device using service desk (Ex. Requested Insight object KEY-123), once the user makes this request, I would like a custom status field on KEY-123 to be changed to "Reserved", and when this service desk request (Ex. DESK-11) is closed, I would like the status to change back to "in stock".

Is this something that needs to be created using a groovy script? Is there some documentation that might help point me in the right direction?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexander Sundström
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2017

Hi Jonathan,

For this you would need to create an groovy script. We have an example at https://documentation.riada.se/insight/latest/insight-for-developers/groovy-scripting/groovy-script-examples/post-functions/update-object-attribute
And for a status the id has to be set, not the Name of the status.

Best Regards
Alexander

Jonathan Laberge November 22, 2017

Hi Alexander, 

Thank you for your response. Can you guide me on how I would get it execute when a service desk ticket is created and that particular object is selected? Would this be done using ScriptRunner or Insight Automation?

Also in this script it has both insight and jira custom field, I'd only like to edit an insight custom field, so I can comment out the jira one?

Alexander Sundström
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2017

Hi Jonathan,

I would suggest triggering this using an Insight post functions. One for the transition when the issue is created, and one for when the issue is closed.

Take a look at https://documentation.riada.se/insight/latest/insight-administrator-s-guide/insight-workflow-functions/insight-post-functions for information on how to trigger an Insight post function, and the one selected should be the groovy script post function.

Automation should not be used, as you need to react on issue creation, which you can't listen on as an event on automation.

The script is just an example and you need to change it. As you mentioned, you want to update the same object, so select the insight custom field, and then update that object instead.

Best Regards
Alexander

Jonathan Laberge November 28, 2017

Just wanted to say thank you, I've got this setup now and made some additional progress thanks to this exercise.

Alexander Sundström
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 29, 2017

Glad to hear :) 

Andrew Januszak December 17, 2019

Hey Jonathan, would you be able to share how you got this done? Looking to do something similar.

Andrew Januszak December 17, 2019

Cancel that. Figured it out... 

Post function > Insight post function > Set the value of an object attribute with a predefined value > Set Status to Status ID number (not name).

Like Ricky LaFleur likes this
0 votes
Medhat Ahmed November 3, 2021

Hi @Alexander Sundström  

all links are deactivated could you please share other links so we can try it?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events