Insight Discovery Setup

Chris Z February 9, 2018

Trying to follow the documentation for setting up the Discovery plugin for Insight.  I enabled the Discovery Import object and collector is enabled.  I've even installed the Discovery-Agent service on my Jira server.  I synced it to a directory I created on the server and it has write access as it create three folders (corrupt_data_files, history_imported_data, latest_imported_data) but when does it perform the scan?  Am I supposed to get a professional consultant to install this software?  I'm trying to demo this software so m license is only good for 27 days but I can't get it to work.  If the company wants me to buy this they should make it easier to install or give me clearer detailed instructions for how to get it working.

2 answers

0 votes
Chris Z February 15, 2018

Yes, I installed the discovery service, not the agent.  I have set the scheduled scan time for the future.  After doing that I've even restarted the service thinking it may need to get the updated schedule change.  I've kept it very simple with only one daily scan setup to begin with.  If we deployed this I would probably move to a weekly scan.   Presently I'm letting the scan run and curious to see what it returns.

Christian_Solle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2018

but if the scan is in the feature you need to wait until the scheduled time is reached.

you can set it to the past then it will start the scan (1min delay) after the service is started.

Chris Z February 16, 2018

Christian,

I can assure you that I can tell time.  I set the date and time in the Discovery and watch the clock go past that time with nothing happening.  The scan I started yesterday has been running almost 24 hours.  The process appears to be hung as the scan hasn't progressed further for almost 2 hours.  I would like to get something into the Insight tool soon.  

Christian_Solle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2018

How big is the ip range that you have configured?

how many servers are you scanning? In the configuration is a timeout for how long a particular scan thread can run default is 10m so a 2 hour hang sounds very strange.

Wich version are you using? Are you using an evaluation license?

And what does the logs say?

Maybe you like to create a support ticket in our portal rather then talking "public" about your configurations.

// Christian

The IP range may have been the problem.  We are running v2.5.4.0  I've stopped the processes and restarted it with a much smaller /22 range.  That makes more sense anyway since I am running it with an evaluation license.  Here is a snippet from the logs with the two hour delay.

2/16/2018 6:16:13 AM : Finish scan for 10.100.147.144
2/16/2018 6:16:13 AM : Ping 10.100.147.141 --> TimedOut ResponseTime=0ms TTL=64
2/16/2018 6:16:21 AM : Scan Threads: waiting=0, running=0, stopped=4035, sum=45683
2/16/2018 6:16:23 AM : Scan Threads: waiting=0, running=0, stopped=4035, sum=45683
2/16/2018 6:16:23 AM : Scan Threads: waiting=0, running=0, stopped=4035, sum=45684
2/16/2018 6:16:24 AM : Scan Threads: waiting=0, running=0, stopped=4035, sum=45684
2/16/2018 8:06:16 AM : Start Scan: 10.100.148.188

The smaller scan finished and I was able to pull the host data into Insight.  It's an absolute mess though with switches, routers and computers all grouped into one.  I still can't schedule the scans.  The time is correct on the server so if it's sync'd with that it should work as scheduled.  

Christian_Solle
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 19, 2018

Okay that is good.

if you have that amount of "systems" to scan we recommend to split up the range(s)

to more then one scan setting and having scans distributed over the day.

// Christian

0 votes
Christian_Solle
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 15, 2018

Hi,

lets try to find out.

Did you using the Discovery-Tool or the Discovery Agent?

The Agent should only used in some special requirements as you had read in our documentation.

For the Discovery Tool, have you setup a scan setting (range, time, credentials)

as described in our documentation?

You can run a scan manually with "discovery.exe"

I think you don't need an consultant for that, it is really easy to use

please just follow our documentation for it.

https://documentation.riada.se/insight-discovery/latest/discovery-documentation/set-up-discovery

Also it is not recommended to use the discovery tool on the same server that is used for your Jira service. (if it is a productive system)

If you can't get it running we I can help you in a screen session if you like.

// Christian

Chris Z February 15, 2018

Christian,

I figured out how to run manually using "Discovery.exe -r <ScanSettingID>" but I can't get it to work via the schedule.  I've setup the schedule with IP range, time and credentials.  I have run the evaluation report several times without errors.  It doesn't seem to ever run based on the schedule I've set?

Christian_Solle
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 15, 2018

-r runs one particular scan setting

have you installed it as a service ?

is the scheduled time in the future or in the past?

// Christian

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events