In structure can state changes in the subtasks reflect the state change in the parent task as well

Jayashree Shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2012

Consider a requirement wherein a task contains many subtasks (parent child relationship). In case subtasks contain many states as not started, inprogress, closed; will the state changes of these subtasks gets reflected in the state change in the parent task as well?

To be more precise. If all the subtasks of a parent task are made to inprogress then will the task which was initially in notstarted state changes its state to inprogress also if all subtasks are closed will the parent task also closes.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2012

Yes it is possible - you need to install "Status Rollup" synchronizer onto the structure. See the documentation: https://wiki.almworks.com/x/3oB7

-- Igor

Jayashree Shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2012

Is Status Rollup synchronizer part of the version v. 1.7.1 for JIRA 5.0 - 5.1.8 structure plugin?Because we have downloaded this version of structure plugin

If not could you please post the link to download the same?

Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2012

Yes it is part of version 1.7.1. Do you have problems figuring out how to use it?

Jayashree Shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 15, 2012

Yes Igor, tried configuring but somehow didnt work as expected

Jayashree Shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 15, 2012

got this working

Jayashree Shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 3, 2012

Igor can you help me out with any doc link which explains about how to configure the status roll up. We have installed latest version of structure.But i dnt know how to configure the statuses eg if the subtasks have changed their statuses to inprogress from open then automatically the task should change its state from open to inprogress. Also the task uses a different workflow and the subtasks uses different workflow. Can we still sync them up using the status roll up ?

Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 3, 2012

The link in my answer above is for the status rollup documentation: https://wiki.almworks.com/x/3oB7

You can sync statuses of sub-issues and parent issue even if they have different workflows - but the statuses in those workflows should be the same, at least those that are synced. There's a video with some more explanation of this synchronizer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucajq05t_2I&hd=1

Hope this helps!

Jayashree Shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 4, 2012

That linked helped a lot Igor..Thanks..In our JIRA environment actually 2 synchronizers are created where in all the projects have been added to the status roll up synchronizer.I added a third one and have assigned the one project which i am currently working in under the synchronizer created by me. This project has 3 issues types and all 3 use a different workflow but around 3 states are the same for sync up using synchronizer.what i noticed was inspite of status change to resolved from the child task the parent task remains unaffected. i was expecting it to change its status to reolved but that didnt happen. Is it because of the already existing different synchronizers?

Jayashree Shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2013

Hi Igor. I have been using 2 workflows in my project. 1st workflow has 5 steps namely create,open,ready,progress,allocated and closed and 2nd one has create,open, ready and closed.

I have put them under a single workflow scheme. created structure for the same. Now when i create a pbi which used 1st workflow and bring it under the structure plugin and then create a subtask sbi using the structure which used the second workflow they dont seem to be working. Status roll up doesnt happen. But if i create the subtask with pbi and not sbi then the status roll up happens. So what i noticed was the status roll up syncronizer using structure works for the subtasks and tasks which used the same workflow and not two different workflow even if they have some common states between them.

Am i missing something?

1 vote
Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 4, 2012

Synchronizers can be used with structures only.

If you have multiple status rollup syncs, they won't know of each other, that is, each one will be able to work independently only on those statuses and with those transitions you have configured for them. If you install multiple status synchronizers on the same structure, they may conflict.

Jayashree Shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2012

I used 3 different workflows and all have same no. of statuses with same name. I have 3 issues and each issue use different workflow. I then created a structure and configured it as per the video link posted above, but even then when i create a new issue and then add subissue to it using the structure and then change the status of the subissue the parent issue status remains unchanged. I have done exactly the way it is required but i am not sure as to why is this not working. Please let me know is there anything else we need to configure to achieve the result properly

Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2012

Jayashree, I cannot advise you on this based on textual description. Please send the following to support@almworks.com and I hope we'll be able to help:

1. A screenshot of a structure, or a part of a structure, which has inconsistent statuses. Please make sure "Status" column is displayed.

2. A screenshot of a synchronizer settings for that structure. Click "Settings" in the Manage Structure page to open it.

3. If possible, support zip - you can create it with Administration | System | Atlassian Support Tools | Support Zip. Please make sure to include application properties, tomcat logs and limit file size.

Thanks
Igor

0 votes
Jayashree Shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 4, 2012

To add to the above question the status roll up synchronizer can be used as independent plugin or is it that this has to be used with structure?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events