How to use features?

Zhenning Bao July 2, 2013

Hi, I am trying different Jira Gantt Chart plugin for our team. This one has a good performance and response quickly! However, I find I don't have enough clue to fully make use of it. (I have had quite some experience using MS Project before.)

For example:

1. Sometimes I can drag and drop a task to a different position. Sometimes I just cannot. I tried half an hour try different settings (fill all numbers for planned dates and estimates or leave some blank; log effort or not before moving, etc), but still couldn't figure out how to guarantee a successful re-schedule. (Yeah, I also tried to select or unselct "manual re-schedule" option

2. I did select the option to automatically copy the baseline dates when initially logging some work. But strangely the copy just worked for once and then never worked again. Don't know why.

3. Mapping dependency: I don't find Gantt: Finish-Start dependency in the link list at all. So I chose Finish to Start dependency. But the dependency relationship is confusing to me. Say, I have task 1 and task 2. Task 2 cannot be started until task 1 is finished. So I supposed task 2 "FS depends on task 1". However I found it was wrong on the Gantt Chart. I had to choose task 1 "FS depends on" task 2. Does it really make sense?

As there is no documentation, it is so frustrated to do all these guessing, esp. when they are NOT solved!

3 answers

1 vote
Frank Polscheit
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2013

Hi Zhenning Bao,

initially, I have provided small videos on youTube as well as a Confluence-Space on Atlassian-Studio, which has been shutdown by Atlassian in the meantime. Additionally, I am answering every single question here on Atlassian Answers. Independently from all that, the amount of support requests keep stable on an equivalent level and that documentation was almost not read.

Nevertheless, I have understood that need and Gantt-Chart v3 already has a help-function for typical user questions (see icon "question mark inside circle" right of the edit icon on the screenshot below). Additionally, the new design will be more intuitive and I will provide more infos.

Beside that, v3 will be much faster (about 8-10 times in opposite to the current v2.x; measured using projects having 1000 and more issues), configurable columns, flexible multi-level grouping, individual coloring and styles and much more.

Preview of next major release Gantt-Chart V3.x

Regards,
Frank

0 votes
Zhenning Bao July 8, 2013

Looking forward to the new version. Could you kindly help answer the specific issues I mentioned in the original post? We still don't know how to solve them yet.

Additional note: #1 above for drag and drop a task along the schedule, actually I find out the reason: it does not update automatically after drag and drop. If I force a refresh, the task is moved to the expected place. But it is quite annoying every moves need a fresh. Is this a bug?

Thanks and Regards

0 votes
Zhenning Bao July 2, 2013

sorry, the last sentence should be: As there is no documentation, it is so frustrated to do all these guessing, esp. when they are NOT solved!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events