How to transition a linked issue when the related issue is transitioned

Laura Hutchinson May 23, 2017

I have an issue type in one project called "Approval" that transitions from Open to Awaiting Approval.

There is a related linked issue type called "Planning" in another project.

I want the Planning issue to transition to "Awaiting Approval (WPA)" when the Approval is transitioned to "Awaiting Approval".

The workflow for both issue types has the correct transitions setup and I have created a global automation rule (image attached). The rule works if I change the transition component to something else (like add a comment) but the transition component doesn't seem to work, no matter what I try.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Capture.PNG

2 answers

0 votes
Laura Hutchinson May 24, 2017

Hi Andreas - thank you for your response. Yes, the user set as the actor has the right permissions (and succesfully executies other automations as well).

I have attached a screenshot of the error as well as a screenshot of the workflow showing no conditions on the desired transition.

Capture-2.PNGCapture-3.PNG

andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2017

Hi Laura,

Ok that's pretty strange.  'FAILURE' generally indicates a bug in the code somewhere.

Are you running in JIRA Server?  Can you raise a support request please via https://codebarrel.io/support and include your server logs (https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/where-are-the-application-server-logs-16121981.html).  There should be an automation related exception that we need to take a look at.

Cheers,

Andreas

0 votes
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2017

Hi Laura,

Sorry this isn't working as expected.  What does the audit log show when this rule executes (with 'show more' expanded)? Can you post a screenshot of that please.

Also can you verify that the user you set as the rule actor in 'Rule details' has the right permissions to perform the workflow transition for the linked issue (there could be workflow conditions preventing the actor from transitioning the linked issue)?

Cheers,

Andreas

Laura Hutchinson May 24, 2017

Hi Andreas thanks for taking the time to answer my question - I accidentally posted a new 'answer' instead of replying to you - please see my response below. Thanks again!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events