How to set assignee from custom field

I am using the User Group Picker and JJUPIN plugins to limit the assignee field to a specific group based on the status of an issue. I set up a custom field that gets a filtered group of users to select from. I then proceed to set the assignee field to my custom field in the workflow, but the assignee value is not correct. Examples I have seen show that all you need is assignee = customfield_xxxxx, but instead of the full name of the user being set in the assignee field it instead sets the assignee as username(username). So if I normally assign an issue to John Doe with username John_D then John Doe would appear in the assignee field with his details when I hover over his name. Instead I am getting John_D(john_d) and it is not recognizing the assignee as a valid user. How do I set the assignee from my custom field so that it is set to a valid user?

6 answers

1 accepted

You have to select a proper SIL custom field descriptor for the SIL user picker field from Add-ons -> Custom Field Descriptors section.

So, for com.keplerrominfo.jira.plugins.usergrouppicker-pro:siluserpicker select the User -> string descriptor. This should solve the problem.

Perfect! Works like a charm! Thanks for the quick responses.

Hi Christopher,

What Jira version are you using and what plugins versions?

Hi Alexandru,

I am running JIRA 6.0.7 with JJupin 2.6.8, User Group Picker 2.6.3 and User Group Picker PRO 1.6.4.

What type is the custom field used for setting assignee? Is it a user group picker or a SIL user picker?

The custom field I created is a SIL User Picker.

Dear Christopher I am trying to configure the same behavior in my jira - could you share your jjupin script for me to use as example? Would be much obliged Thank you

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Jul 10, 2018 in Marketplace Apps

If you’re an Atlassian app developer, you’ll want to know about Atlas Camp!

This September 6-7, hundreds of Atlassian App developers will flock to Barcelona Spain to build skills, discover product roadmaps, meet face-to-face with the Atlassian team, and learn how to extend t...

182 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you