How to order the JIRA stories in Teams based on rank?

Thijs Kaasschieter December 5, 2018

Hi, 

I managed to add a tab in Microsoft Teams with my saved JIRA filter. The filter is set to sort the stories based on rank (so by dragging and dropping in the backlog). However, Teams doesn't copy the chosen order type, but just orders the stories by date created. I can only choose to order the stories by date updated/created, status, priority. Ordering by priority doesn't give enough insight in which stories will be picked up first. 

Is it possible to order stories by rank in Teams?

1 answer

0 votes
SoftServe Support
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2018

Dear Thijs,

Thank you very much for using the integration.

Thank you for pointing this out. We apologize for the inconvenience. The issue is currently under investigation, we will keep you updated.

Best regards,
SoftServe Support

Thijs Kaasschieter December 7, 2018

Great, thanks for the response!

SoftServe Support
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2018

Dear Thijs,
Unfortunately, an application doesn't reproduce issue order set in Jira at the moment, it's only creating the list of the issues matches the specified parameters set by you. So after you've created the tab you should tune order manually. Сurrently, only status, priority, date of creation/update attributes are available in the scope of ordering possibilities in Teams tab. The idea for this is to make simple functionality and not to overload it too much. 
We really appreciate your feedback and will take into consideration your suggestion to make this ordering attributes manageable.
Sorry for inconveniences and thank you again!

Best regards,
SoftServe Support

Thijs Kaasschieter December 17, 2018

Hi there!

Thank you for the reply. Simplicity is always important, but there are always functionalities that cannot be missed ;) I really want to give my team insight in which JIRA stories will be picked up first, and the only way to do that in Teams is to make sorting based on rank possible. Or just make it the standard sorting, and keep the other options the way they are. That way, you're not making the table more complicated, but waaay more useful :). Anyway, thanks for considering the option. 

Kind regards, 
Thijs

Jonathan Andree February 13, 2019

I agree with Thijs. JIRA Next Gen Projects (especially Kanban) steer the user towards Rank (and away from Priority). The JIRA Kanban Backlog can only sort by Rank. As a result, I no longer use Priority. Rank is my source of truth.

Deleted user February 13, 2019

I didn't see any previous reference to Next Gen projects, so if your Jira Filter is just referencing a Classic project, presumably you can just edit it to include a Rank sort as well? I know there's some issues with Next Gen issues and JQL, but I'm seeing those issues in my JQL as well, and presumably wouldn't have any issue sorting Next Gen items by rank also.

Jonathan Andree February 13, 2019

I have JQL with "ORDER BY status, Rank" that works fine as an Issue Filter on a Next Gen JIRA Project. The JIRA Kanban Board does not display like this - the filter is an approximation of the Board to share with others on Teams.

When I open the Filter in Teams, data is sorted by Updated. Rank is not listed as a column in Teams, so users cannot view the true ordering.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events