How to get year-month only in a calculated text field

Hi

My customer needs a read-only reference field based on JIRA issue key and create date showing only year and month.

Based on this example I tried to do it as shown below, but I get nothing back on the screen. 

What am I doing wrong?

<!-- @@Formula:
createDate=issue.get("created");
if (createDate ==null) return null;
return "M/" +issue.get("issuekey") +string.Format("%tY-%tm", createDate, createDate);
-->

thanks for any hints,

cheers,

gezza

ps: JIRA v7.1.7 with misc custom fields addon v1.7.1

1 answer

Try String.format instead of string.Format. 

thanks for your answer! I tried it, but it did not help

where can I read about the syntax possibilities? I checked the addon documentation, but it did not provide list of syntax.

I could also use truncation (if such a function exists), eg: to get the year show only the first 4 characters

Is this possible?

The syntax is actually documented - or rather pointed to. It's http://www.beanshell.org/docs.html. It is a subset of Java.

As for why it doesn't work for you, the first thing you need to do is check JIRA's logfile (atlassian-jira.log) for errors. Look at the end of the file right after displaying an issue that should show the calculated field.

Hi David,

thanks for your pointers, I managed to solve it!

just for the record I add info below (maybe it helps others)

error in the log:

Sourced file: inline evaluation of: ``  createDate=issue.get("created");  return String.format("%tY", createDate);  ;'' : Error in method invocation: Static method format( java.lang.String, java.sql.Timestamp ) not found in class'java.lang.String' : at Line: 3 : in file: inline evaluation of: ``  createDate=issue.get("created");  return String.format("%tY", createDate);  ;'' : String .format ( "%tY" , createDate )

After some searching, I found this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6262570/how-to-retrieve-day-month-and-year-from-timestamplong-format

Based on this the below works fine:

<!-- @@Formula:
createTimestamp = issue.get("created");
long timestamp = createTimestamp.getTime();
Calendar cal = Calendar.getInstance();
cal.setTimeInMillis(timestamp);
createYear = cal.get(Calendar.YEAR);
return "M/" +issue.get("issuekey") +"/" +createYear;
-->

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Oct 31, 2018 in Marketplace Apps

Marketplace Spotlight: Zephyr

Hello Atlassian Community! Each month, we run a series of Spotlights to highlight Marketplace vendors and apps that our team thinks this Community would find valuable. In last month's Spotlig...

413 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you