How to get contact details from an instance using our free available plugin?

Daniel Woste March 29, 2016

Hey all,

I started to provide a free available (beta) plugin on the Atlassian marketplace:
HeyQL Metrics for JIRA

Now I want to get in contact with our first users. But I see now way to get their names or email-addresses.

If I sell my plugin, Atlassian would give me a license report including contact details.
But how can I get this kind of information for a free available plugin?

A dirty way would be to read out all users of an instance via a REST request and guess, which one I should contact (smallest id + admin-rights?).
But I don't like that way and the contacted person may not be the right one.

Is there any way to get contact details of an instance for a free plugin vendor?

Thanks for the help,
  Daniel 

1 answer

2 votes
wadey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2016

Hi Daniel, we don't currently provide access to the PII of free add-on users. What many developers do and you may wish to try, is fire a post-install screen for free users that presents some reasonable, compelling and small offer, in return for an email address. In this way engaged users can opt in to communications from you. The analogy is a free download from your website - users can opt in to giving you their email address in return for something of value. 

The vendor community discusses this question from time to time on our private Marketplace discussion list, so hopefully you're a part of that (if not, please join in!) https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/atlassian-marketplace

Hope that helps, -nick
Head of Ecosystem 

wadey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2016

One other addition - from Arun's comment on my answer on this earlier thread, if you're only free while in Beta, you can use Marketplace tokens to get your add-on to your users. See comments here: Jan 22, 2016

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events