How to detect via script listener if an Issue was cloned

We are using a script listener in JIRA to generate and store a value in the Issue. The script is executed after creating and updating an Issue. But after cloning it is not possible to differentiate between Issue creation and Issue cloning. The information whether the Issue is a clone or not is not available when the listener for the Issue creation runs. There is also no event for linking an Issue available.

Is there a possibility to detect in JIRA if an Issue was cloned?

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.

Only if it is specifically logged, and that information not lost.

By default, a cloned issue is usually amended such that

• It is linked back to the issue it was cloned from with a "clone of" type link
  • The summary is prefixed with "Clone -"

So, in theory, you can look for one or both of those.

But, the automation can be changed or turned off, and also the effects could be removed by editing the issue.  The only place you'll be able to reliably tell is by reading the history of the issue.  When cloned, you won't see anything, but you'll be able to see if one or both of the automated clone flags used to be set if someone removes them.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 22, 2018 in Marketplace Apps

How a Marketplace app tech team is achieving gender diversity

Hello! My name is Genevieve Blanch, and I'm the Marketing Manager at RefinedWiki, creators of apps to give teams the tools to customize Atlassian platforms. Currently, 44% of the tech team at Re...

523 views 3 19
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you