How to create a subtask per user in a multi-user select

Oz Linden February 20, 2019

I have a multi-select field for 'Reviewers' and want a transition to create a Review subtask for each user in Reviewers.

I've tried to do this with the JWT Create issues and subtasks Function

Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 11.12.38 .png

field 11771 is my Reviewers list

Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 11.12.49 .pngScreen Shot 2019-02-20 at 11.12.56 .pngScreen Shot 2019-02-20 at 11.13.10 .png

The transition completes, but no subtasks are created.

I can manually create the same subtasks this was meant to create, so it's not a failure in the subtask issue (I think). 

Any suggestions on how to make something like this work without scripting (we don't have scripting enabled on our server)?

I don't get any errors displayed anywhere on the screen... is there a log file I can look to for hints?

1 answer

1 vote
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2019

Hi Oz,

have you been able to solve your problem yet? Looking at the screens you provided the configuration looks good so far. Were you following the usage example Create a sub-task for each user selected in a Multi-User Picker in the documentation?  As your custom field is a multi-valued field the separator is not needed and toStringList(%{11771}) would be enough. But it works both ways. This won't prevent the sub-tasks from being created. Setting the assignee field requires the Parsed text (advanced mode) to work when referencing the string list. But this wouldn't break the post function either. The sub-tasks will just be unassigned.

Are you sure that "Review" is a sub-task issue type available in the project (maybe you have multiple of them in your system)? And what else and how have you configured in the post function (summary, conditional execution etc.)?

If you have access to your log files we could also derive a possible cause. And please make sure to have no syntax error displayed in the post function overview of your transition.

Feel free to discuss the issue in the community or open a request in our service desk!

Best, Max

Oz Linden May 20, 2019

I think that's the example I was following.

Since I didn't get a response to this post quickly enough, I ended up changing the flow so that users have to execute one transition per reviewer (fill in Reviewer, execute Request Review transition that creates the subtask, assigns it to the Reviewer, then clears Reviewer; closing the subtask adds that Reviewer to Reviewers). This works, even if it's a little less clear.

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2019

Hi Oz,

I'm glad to hear you were able to find a workaround but also would ask you to use the official support channels the next time you run into problems so we can help. You can find links to our Service Desk in the marketplace and in the official documentation. The Atlassian Community is a (great) place where users help other users voluntarily with their questions and problems, are exchanging ideas and having discussions. Of course, also people of the Atlassian team, marketplace vendors and solution partners are participating here as you can see. :) But we're not consistently monitoring this channel as well. So I'd be happy if you still want to look into the behavior and reach out to us.

Best, Max

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events