How to automatically set an insight object based on the current reporter?

mvdetten June 28, 2018

Hi!

I'm sorry if this answered somewhere else but I have spent hours of searching and fiddling and can't seem to get Service Desk / Insight to do what I need. 

The setup

So I have an Insight object "Company" and a company has some "Employees" which are modeled as an attribute of type User. For example, there is the company "Riada" with only one employee "Bob.

I have set up a custom Insight Object field (let's call it "CompanyField") which contains the Filter Scope IQL Expression Employees" IN ("CurrentReporter()")

Now I have created a Service Desk request type which shows "CompanyField". When raising a request of that type, the reporter can select only the company of which he is an employee, so Bob can only select Riada for example. Works beautifully.

The problem

It's a bit awkward for Bob to select his company, since he can only select Riada and the result should be known anyway. So I want to populate the "CompanyField" automatically based on the reporter, as soon as the customer portal page is shown. I assumed that the Filter Assign Scope would be good for this, so as the filter Assign Scope IQL Expression, I also used "Employees" IN ("CurrentReporter()")". In addition, I checked the "Make Filter Assign Strict" option. 

The problem is: The CompanyField is never populated automatically. Neither when the portal is opened and a new request is created, nor when the reporter is changed (via the "Raise this request on behalf of" field.

Can anybody tell me what I'm missing?

5 answers

0 votes
Mathias HD December 13, 2022

I have the same exact problem. The "Filter Assign Scope (IQL)" seems to do nothing.
How did you solve this issue?

EDIT: I spoke to Attlassian support. As of now the "Filter Assign Scope (IQL)" ONLY works if an issues is created. It does not trigger on updates or otherwise(Well you can put this is in Workflow transitions but it defeats the point of this Field). There is a Placeholder in the field when creating a new ticket and "Filter Assign Scope (IQL)" is configured: "Automatic" but it is not accessible otherwise.

0 votes
Danielle Mayrberger August 27, 2021

Hi all, it's 3 years later since this was posted.  I was able to get this to work to populate a user's insight object (computer) when a they enter a ticket. However, at times we have other users or help desk staff that enter a ticket on behalf of another user.  The object is populated based on the current logged in user and we are unable to update the field with their object.

Is there any solution for that?  

heysunny October 28, 2021

Hi!

Can you please tell us how you managed to do the version that takes the current user?

0 votes
Антон Чистяков September 19, 2018

Markus von Detten, I have similar problem.

You did it resolve this problem? 

0 votes
mvdetten July 2, 2018

Thank you for your answer. The problem with that solution is that post function fire the soonest when the service request is submitted. So after the user clicks on create, the post function will assign the corresponding company to the company field. I would like to assign the company as soon as the customer sees the entry form, because at that point in time I already know which user it is and I can infer the company from that. Any ideas on how to accomplish that?

PJ Wysota
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2018

OK, I would change a way of thinking slightly then:

"Reporter" is a value that is assigned when issue is created

so I would change IQL from "CurrentReporter()" to "CurrentUser()"

Glitch is that it would refer to logged in user - I assume 90% of cases would work fine, 10% - recording an issue on behalf of someone - wouldn't work for sure.

Then I am pretty sure it should work without PF.

0 votes
PJ Wysota
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2018

I would do that using rather Insight post function than just configuration of CFs. The glitch of that is that it won't work for In-line edits. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events