How marketplace determines plugin compatibility?

Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 22, 2016

Hello,

When I upload a JIRA plugin to Atlassian marketplace I declare to JIRA versions for fields "Compatible from" and "Compatible to" which clearly defines the compatible JIRA versions that the plugin is compatible to.

When a new JIRA version is released after I publish my plugin, marketplace sometimes automatically updates my "Compatible to" field and sets it to the latest JIRA version automatically. I couldn't discover the pattern here. Sometimes it does, sometimes it does not.

Does anybody know how marketplace determines compatibility and in what conditions does it auto update?

2 answers

3 votes
Mohamad Khalife
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2016

What happens to my add-on compatibility when Atlassian releases new product versions? 

You specify product compatibility with your add-on in the Create new add-on form. When Atlassian releases minor versions that outpace your add-on's compatibility, we automatically update this information for you. For example, if your add-on is compatible with Confluence version 4.3, and version 4.3.2 comes out, we assume your add-on will still work and update your listing accordingly. This is also true for beta versions.

When a major version is released, we leave it up to you as the developer and vendor to check compatibility. After you've confirmed that your add-on is compatible, you can update your listing and we'll move forward with minor releases as usual.

Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 22, 2016

As far as I can remember we encountered situations where auto updates were not done for maintenance releases of JIRA.

Let's say we released the plugin for JIRA 6.4.4 (not accurate version number, just making up an example) when 6.4.5 comes up you update "comaptible to" field  automatically but when 6.4.6 comes up you don't. Is there such cases, do I recall it correctly or do you ALWAYS update for maintenance releases but not for minor releases?

wadey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 23, 2016

Hi @Emre Toptancı [OBSS], it's software and very occasionally it bugs and we fail to update the minor version compatibility. This has happened a few times in my memory, and we'll respond with a manual update on your behalf if that occurs.  

0 votes
wadey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 23, 2016

Moe has the correct information in that answer above. I just wanted to add that you can find this and a lot more in our documentation, including in this specific case, in the FAQs: https://developer.atlassian.com/market/faqs

Thanks! -nick wade
Head of Ecosystem 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events