How do I successfully enable the Usage Tracking add-on in Confluence 5.0.3?

Rachel Struthers April 22, 2013

I'm having problems with enabling the "Usage Tracking" plugin in Confluence. I'm upgrading from 3.5 to 5.0.3. I think the old version of the plugin was installed in 3.5 as an "User Installed" plugin. I tried uninstalling the "User Installed" version and restarting. The bundled version of the "Usage tracking" plugin shows as disabled. When I try to enable, I get an error in the console.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Rachel Struthers April 24, 2013

I finally figured out the issue. The Usage Tracking (actually Usage Stats) add-on stores its index files under here: <confluence-home>/index/plugin/usage. Those files were basically corrupted, possibly because I copied them from prod which uses a different version of the plugin than the test instance.

Here were my steps to fix:

1. Shut down Confluence
  2. Deleted this folder: <confluence-home>/index/plugin/usage
  3. Restarted Confluence

After restarting, the "Usage Stats" add-on was enabled. I checked a page that used the popular macro (comes from the Usage Stats add-on) and it worked!

One caveat: this means that the old usage stats will be deleted. However, it doesn't really matter for us. We are willing to start fresh. In a month or so, it probably won't matter.

0 votes
Rachel Struthers April 22, 2013

My actual question is: I can't enable the bundled usage tracking plugin in Confluence 5.0.3. I tried enabling it and get this error in the logs. Anyone have any ideas?

There was an error loading the descriptor 'Usage Index Manager' of plugin 'com.atlassian.confluence.ext.usage'. Disabling.
 -- referer: http://prdbart:8094/confluence/plugins/servlet/upm/manage/system | url: /confluence/rest/plugins/1.0/com.atlassian.confluence.ext.usage-key | userName: rmstruthers
com.atlassian.bonnie.LuceneException: Failed to create searcher for directory: org.apache.lucene.store.SimpleFSDirectory@/proj/dev/confluence-home/index/plugin/usage lockFactory=org.apache.lucene.store.SimpleFSLockFactory@1f3e82c
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /proj/dev/confluence-home/index/plugin/usage/segments_1ix1m (No such file or directory)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events