How do I send an email to an Approver using Automation for JIRA?

Michael Thompson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2017

I'm testing out various rules using Automation for JIRA (we have JIRA Server 7.3.3) and it's working out great so far, but I am stuck on a particular email rule.

We have a custom Approver field for use in certain projects, and my users have asked if JIRA can send an email notifying someone if they need to review and approve a new issue.  It seemed easy enough, but I can't get the email address working properly.

The Approver field is of type "User Picker (multiple users)". In the Automation rule I've tried using these entries, but none of them return any values. I have confirmed the custom field ID is 10180.

• {{issue.approver}}
  • {{issue.customField_10180}}
  • {{issue.approver.displayName}}
  • {{issue.customField_10180.displayName}}
  • {{issue.approver.emailAddress}}
  • {{issue.customField_10180.emailAddress}}

I expected this field to work the same way as reporter or assignee, but apparently this is not the case.

Any ideas on how to get the Approver's email address?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2017

Hi Michael,

So you should be able to use this syntax for a multi-user picker:

{{#issue.Approver}}{{emailAddress}}, {{/}}

This should  produce a comma separated list of all approvers.  Note that the field name has to be exactly the same as it is called on the view issue page (including upper/lower case characters).  

Since it's a multi-picker, you need to use a list expansion (the #). 

For more details see the "How do I work with lists?" section in our docs: https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/AUTO4J/pages/27656216/Smart+Fields

Cheers,

Andreas

Michael Thompson
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 29, 2017

Hi Andreas,

It works! Thanks so much for your help. I will review the section you specified in your comment.

Best wishes,

Mike Thompson

0 votes
Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 27, 2017

Have you tried {{issue.customField_10180.value}}

Michael Thompson
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 29, 2017

Hi Boris,

Just tried and it didn't work.  Thanks for the option!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events