How do I create recurring issues with Automation for JIRA?

andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2016

I need to create the same issue once a week. How do can I do this using Automation for JIRA?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2016

This is such a common use case that we included a pre-defined template called "Recurring tasks". If you use this to create an automation rule, you'll get:

Project automation - Code Barrel JIRA 2016-09-20 11-25-42.png

This uses 2 rule components:

• A scheduled trigger that runs on the first of the month using a CRON expression
  • And a 'Create issue' action that creates an issue when the trigger runs.

Using the create issue action, you can set any field necessary on the newly created issue.  You could also include other actions to assign the issue to a user etc.

Andrey Tyupov January 23, 2018

Thanks for your answer.

I've tried to create a rule to update a set of issues defined by a JQL query and when I choose to update an issue's Due Date it can only set a specific Date. Is it possible to shift the Due Dates, say, 1 weak ahead?

andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 23, 2018

Hi Andrey,

yes, you should be able to achieve this with date functions and smart values: http://docs.codebarrel.io/automation/index.html#/smart-fields/working-with-dates?id=date-functions-1

You'd probably need to set the due date to something like:

{{#issue.duedate}}func=plusDays(7){{/}}

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
 Andreas

Andrey Tyupov January 24, 2018

Andreas, thanks once again!

What about CurrentIssue.DueDate + 1 Day? Is it possible to set the value like that? Haven't found this in the document.

andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2018

Hey Andrey,

Not 100% sure what you mean by current issue, but that should be just:

{{#issue.duedate}}func=plusDays(1){{/}}

Cheers,

Andreas

Brad June 28, 2021

I don't see that "Recurring tasks" template anywhere in the template library... mind boggling.

0 votes
Brad June 28, 2021

I don't see that "Recurring tasks" template anywhere in the template library... mind boggling.

0 votes
Robert Carey September 11, 2018

Hi,

I am creating a rule to create a recurring task on the first of the month and then want to set the due date = 10 days after the create date.

In the scheduled trigger I have the CRON expression: 0 15 7 1 * ?

And for the Due Date do I use: {{#issue.duedate}}func=plusDays(10){{/}}
}
}

Thanks

Robert

Robert Carey September 11, 2018

I wanted to know if my rule will work.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events