How do I copy attachments when cloning an issue?

Kristin Buck February 8, 2017

When automatically cloning an issue the attachments from the original issue do not get copied to the cloned issue.

Is there a way to configure this functionality?

14 answers

16 votes
gijs verstraete May 7, 2019

Since I can't +1 on the issue about getting this function on the cloud version, I put my vote here.
Please, please, pretty please with a cherry on top, make this possible in the cloud version?

Thanks!

6 votes
Alexey Saltykov May 18, 2020

I'm really need this functional in Jira Cloud for ours Software and Service Desk projects

Girts Mazais August 11, 2020

+1 

Same wish - it would help to manage client submitted requests in Jira software.

Admin June 8, 2021

+1

Richard Harvey October 7, 2021

This looks like it's been in the feature backlog at least 4 years!

Have you watched any of your own videos on agile development?

+1

Like # people like this
2 votes
Алишер Кадамов April 18, 2022

any updates?

Hello from 2022

2 votes
Kris August 10, 2021

Any updates on when this is going to be available in the cloud version? Personally, I consider this a bug rather than a missing feature...

1 vote
Christian Zelada February 5, 2020

I look forward to the improvement in cloud, but in the meantime I share how we solved it.

Within the cloning rule we use smart values to generate direct links to the attachments:

CloningRules.jpg

Scott Boomer April 28, 2020

Does this matter, if the linked attachment is a project the end user does not have access too?

Girts Mazais September 7, 2020

I tried this method - but, if the user do not have permission at source project, the attachment will be not available. 

Mathew Sommers October 6, 2020

I cannot seem to the Adjuntos/Attachments to show up as an option as a field to change ... was this removed or can Christian help explain how to get that field to be exposed?

Thanks

-Matt

Erin Mihalik December 9, 2020

Christian,

I assume the Adjuntos = the Additional Fields area but when I do so and use the exact text you have in picture, I get a JSON error.  Is there more information to include in this box to make the JSON correct and add a comment?

image.png

Michiel V_ September 30, 2021

@Erin Mihalik 

"Adjuntos" is spanish for "Attachments". 

Christian probably made a custom field. I've tried his method with a custom field (Rich text field) and it works. Only, my URL's are not clickable. They just show up as text. Even when using Wiki style rendering format, it doesnt help.

@Christian Zelada do you remember which custom field type you used for this?

A.J. Apple May 10, 2022

Did anyone get this working?

Richard Harvey May 13, 2022

I suspect one of the reasons for dragging feet on this one is that the Service Management project has a "Create linked Issue" that does exactly what everybody wants incl. copying comments and attachments. so why not just release the existing feature into Jira software projects?....

- it's not free.

(I've been waiting years for this)

Like Ali Zalzar likes this
1 vote
corvomx July 22, 2019

Hi Nick, still waiting for this, can we have an update?

Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2019

Unfortunately no news on this front. We will update when we schedule it.

Sebastián Delmastro August 29, 2019

@Nick Menere  Please post it on your blog or your customers when this happens.

Sebastian

Like Christian Zelada likes this
David Aguilera May 28, 2020

Requesting an update, please Nick.

0 votes
Pat Ryan January 14, 2021

When Atlassian has ceded functionality to an addon vendor, they will never replace it.   Here, scriptrunner can do this on cloud (according to https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Answers-Developer-Questions/Clone-issue-with-attachments/qaq-p/564257).   I would not expect this request to ever be implemented and you need to buy scriptrunner and learn groovy.

Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 14, 2021

Hi @Pat Ryan hi @JD Lobue

our cloud app Deep Clone for Jira would also be an option. 

It is possible to:

• Clone issues along with attachments
  • Clone and move issues into other projects
  • Automate cloning by creating a Deep Clone post-function

Of course this is another paid app from a vendor, but at least you don't have to learn groovy to use it :) 

David Aguilera January 14, 2021

This is not a solution. This issue was not raised as a means for plug in creators to advertise their products.I spend THOUSANDS of dollars a month for Jira - why is this basic functionality not a part of the base program? It's simple stuff.

Like # people like this
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 14, 2021

@David Aguilera , I am very sorry if my post annoyed you. 

This issue was created in the "Marketplace apps & integrations" category and in the original question I could not find any hint, that this thread was referring only to solutions which do not require a plug in.

Sorry, if I overlooked something.

0 votes
Do not tag me December 9, 2020

And still, there is no update on it? Copying everything including an attachment is a very basic feature. It's high time that Atlassian considers this for cloud as it's already available for Server. It has been three years now. 

0 votes
JD Lobue November 12, 2020

How can we get attachments moved over from a JSD (Now Jira Service Management) on the cloud version over to a JSW? What is the best way?

0 votes
DWS Admin September 18, 2020

So.....still no reply / update after a year?

0 votes
Tony Vlcek August 21, 2020

In case that someone wouldn't need the automation but just wanted a quick way to create a linked issue with all the content of the original Service Desk issue (including attachments), here's a way to do it:

1. Click Link Issues
2. Click Create Linked Issu
3. image.png

Miriam Feiler September 22, 2021

Thanks for the workaround Tony.

0 votes
Hassan Ashraf October 26, 2019

Hi

I have a workaround now i.e. using Script Runner on cloud to copy attachments. Thats the only way I can make it work.

Thanks

Peter Reiser
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2020

@hassanashra  can you please share how you clone attachments with Scriptrunner ? 

Like Hassan Ashraf likes this
Hassan Ashraf January 17, 2020

1.JPG2.JPGtransition.JPG

I have to do this for every issue created in a specific project. I did this as workflow post function on create transition - as per attached. This is built in Scriptrunner cloud.

Peter Reiser
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 17, 2020

Many - thanks I have tested it but I get a Scriptrunner error - but this might be a local issue with our instance 

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.AssertionError: Failed to create issue 

I will check with Adaptavist 

0 votes
Kristin Buck May 15, 2018

Is there any update on this?

Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 15, 2018

Hi Kristin,

Unfortunately we haven't gotten to this yet. Though having recently implemented IF/ELSE support, added a bunch of Software Support and improved smart fields, this is now our most popular issue.

While I can't make any promises on delivery this issue is definitely front of mind.

I'll update this post once we implement it.

Cheers,

Nick

Pieter Schaafsma September 18, 2018

Hi Nick,

Do you have any update on this one?

Cheers,

Pieter

Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 18, 2018

Hi Pieter,

This is now available in Server (but not Cloud).

To do this, add the Attachment field and select copy from issue:Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 1.13.02 pm.png

In terms of Cloud, this is still on our radar but it is a LOT more complicated.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Nick

Pieter Schaafsma September 19, 2018

Unfortunately we are using the Cloud version. Is there anything I can do to help get more attention for this issue? 

Best Regards,

Pieter

Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 20, 2018

Hi Pieter,

I've linked this post to that issue and that helps us understand the demand for feature requests (we count the links).

Unfortunately we can't give any guarantees when this will get done.

Cheers,

Nick 

Jeanette Hamel September 25, 2018

Woohoo!! I'm so excited to use the new "Copy Attachments" feature in the Server edition. My users will be excited too!! Any chance you will also implement a "Move Attachments" option?

Michael February 8, 2019

Hi Nick,

is it possible to clone/move the Attachment from a Comment to the related issue?

SmartValue?

If i use {{issue.attachment}} or {{trigerIssue.comment.last.body}} i just get a empty thumbnail.

Like # people like this
Hassan Ashraf February 13, 2019

Hi @Nick Menere - is this going to be available? I need to clone the attachment to another project as well - Please let us know if it is possible now or should we use another plugin for this?

Paul Cudina February 28, 2019

Using JIRA Server and was looking for this same function. Worked perfectly for me, thanks @Nick Menere 

Paul

Jimmy N. July 18, 2019

Hi Nick,

Any update on the progress for Cloud?

We have Service Desk tickets that create new tickets onto our Boards upon submission. I know you guys have implemented something to be able to reference original attachments as links (no thumbnail) to the newly created tickets. However we are desperate to be able to reference comment attachments from Linked Issues the same way.

Wondering if this can be achieved somehow?

Cheers,

James

Like # people like this
Samanta Peixoto September 17, 2020

Hi Nick,

Any update on the progress for Cloud?

Like Ryan Amshoff likes this
0 votes
Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 8, 2017

Hi Kristin,

Unfortunately attachments aren't yet supported in the Clone Issue action. I have raised an issue to track this - https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-162

We are currently working on some high priority items so we wont get to for a little bit but you aren't the first person to ask for it so we will try to get to soon.

Cheers,

Nick

Co-founder at Code Barrel

Samuel Wilkinson November 3, 2017

Any progress on this?

Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 6, 2017

Hi Jordan,

Unfortunately this hasn't reached the top of the priority list yet.

Cheers,

Nick

Christian Zelada September 6, 2019

same problem ... really need it!!!!!! :D

Like # people like this
Michael Kane March 10, 2020

Nick - can you clone the item at the top of your priority list and change the title to Fix Cloning Attachment issue.  Don't worry about any attachments in the original ticket, they won't be cloned.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events