How do I automatically trigger a status change on a linked issue based on the status of another task

Sheena Mclennan July 4, 2017

I have two projects - Design and purchasing. When the design workflows gets to a certain status I want it to automatically transition the status of the purchasing task it is related to (by links). Is this possible with automation add-on?

3 answers

2 votes
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 4, 2017

Hi Sheena,

Yes you can do this with Automation for JIRA using the 'Related issues' action.  You'd have to setup a rule like this:

• Trigger: Issue transitioned
  • JQL Condition: project = DESIGN and status = <target design workflow status>
  • Action: Related issues with 'Linked issues' selected
    • JQL Condition perhaps to check the linked issue is in project = PURCHASING. Depends on your exact requirements 
    • Action - transition issue to the desired target status

Because this rule touches multiple projects, you'll have to configure it as a 'Global' rule in global administration in the System > 'Automation rules' section.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
  Andreas

Sheena Mclennan July 7, 2017

Thanks Andreas, that works perfectly.

Like Galab Venkin _PM_ likes this
0 votes
Sai Saveen Aminigadda February 25, 2019

@andreas Hi, how about if we want to close a ticket when there is no response after a week. Could you please explain me how can i set up automation trigger. Thanks

0 votes
Pompi Diplan August 10, 2017

Hi Andreas,

Is it possible for Jira Project Automation (I have the extended, payed version) to not have access to cross-project links when one of them is ServiceDesk? I am following the very steps you indicated to Sheena above (see picture).

in my case

Sheena's Design = DAIL

Sheena's Purchansing = MITSD

and, for linked Issues which happen to be in my MIT-S[ervice ]D[esk] project the rule falls short of applying with "No related issues could be found". This is pretty surprising - the more so as I put myself as the actor and the owner of the rule and I am an agent authorized to use the Service Desk (MITSD) project. Please tell me I am Capture.PNGdoing something wrong :). 

Pompi Diplan August 10, 2017

It seems to be an issue not with Service Desk, but with cross-project linked issues detection (the rule branching). 

Additionally, if you look at my second snapshot below, I have a case where an issue (Dail-442) is linked to a "close" (i.e., same-project) Dail-443 issue and to a "far" (= different project) one, MK-95. When the same rule applies, at 13 sec. interval:

Dail-443 (the same-project sibling) is considered worthy of being a "match" for the LInked Issues rule (see highlights in green, 12;24;31", with success and follow thru with the Then-action.

MK-95 (the different-project sibling) is considered a non-match (see in red, same minute @ 18") and No-Actions-Performed.Capture.JPG

andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2017

Hi Pompi,

Thanks for the detailed screenshots.

So it looks like your rule is setup correctly in global admin so it should be able to find related issues in another project.

Can you check your releated issues action though to see if the 'Only include issues that have changed since the last time this rule executed' is checked? You might have to uncheck this.

I believe the second screenshot with issue DAIL-442 shows something different - the first execution with id 799, DAIL-442 didn't match the JQL condition, so it probably wasn't in the 'Done' status yet.  The rule never executed the related issues action.  (In action details it only mentions the JQL condition)

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Andreas

Pompi Diplan August 17, 2017

Hi Andreas,

Thank you for your attention (and prompt answer).

I figured out that the rule was, quite contrarily, setup _Not_ in the Global context -my bad- but in the DAIL[Y] project - as one can see from the first screenshot (see the blue Chrome window, under my Exo-ops bookmark). That was the simple reason why it was not working with cross-project linking :). Sorry for randomizing you with a "by design" issue :).

andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 17, 2017

Hi Pompi,

Ah right - that makes sense.  Yeah no worries. Rules need to be 'global' in rule details in order to touch multiple projects.

Cheers,
 Andreas

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events