How can one force text to wrap in a view?

Christopher Kelley March 13, 2015

2 answers

2 votes
Christopher Kelley March 15, 2015

This is unfortunate. While I understand the consideration related to the the visual aspects of the hierarchy, ultimately the interface is focused on utility, and cutting off text in critical fields drastically reduces this utility. The visual aspects of the hierarchy can be improved via secondary visual clues (underlying parent rows - not the text but via a solid bar, changing text attributes, etc.), while preserving text wrapping. If MS Project can wrap text and preserve the visual hierarchy, then I'm sure you could find a way as well. The issue details panel has very limited usability in our use case - noting that the same wrapping issue exists in the dashboard and issue views, where there is no details option.

Ultimately, it is arguably prudent to let your customers select the best viewing experience for them, and for us, we would strongly prefer the ability to see certain fields wrap.

Eugene Sokhransky _ALM Works_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2015

Christopher, thanks a lot for your comments. We'll keep this in mind and maybe will try to come up with some good solution next time we revise our UI. How many lines would you expect the description to have?

Christopher Kelley March 17, 2015

My suggestion is to enable two or three rows - the goal would not be to wrap comments or another large text field, but title and a few others that tend to cut off.

Like Pradeep Nair likes this
Junho Park April 9, 2018

I'm frustrated by the issue of text cutting cut off on my Kanban board.

As a simple solution - can we have the text terminate in ellipsis if the text is too long to be displayed? That way, at least it suggests to the user that there's too much text to fit 'em all in.

Like # people like this
Scott Clem February 1, 2019

I second this.  This should be core functionality.  It's something so simple to fix and would have a huge benefit to helping people visually understand and see their work.

Vilmos Csizmadia March 29, 2019

I agree with the complaints. It's very frustrating to have to click on a story to see its full name/label, which, by the way, takes away even more screen real estate from the list...

You guys could actually make this a simple option so that your users can toggle it at any time. Either wrap the text or don't. Some people may prefer the more uniform list. (We definitely do not care about the uniformity and would like to see the full text instead for easy information flow.)

1 vote
Eugene Sokhransky _ALM Works_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2015

Hello Christopher,

We have considered this, but when the lines are of different heights, the whole board looks cluttered and the hierarchy becomes less visual. So we implemented issue details panel instead, where you can quickly see all the issue details: https://wiki.almworks.com/x/s4QlAQ

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Eugene (ALM Works)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events