How can one force text to wrap in a view?

2 answers

Hello Christopher,

We have considered this, but when the lines are of different heights, the whole board looks cluttered and the hierarchy becomes less visual. So we implemented issue details panel instead, where you can quickly see all the issue details: https://wiki.almworks.com/x/s4QlAQ

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Eugene (ALM Works)

This is unfortunate. While I understand the consideration related to the the visual aspects of the hierarchy, ultimately the interface is focused on utility, and cutting off text in critical fields drastically reduces this utility. The visual aspects of the hierarchy can be improved via secondary visual clues (underlying parent rows - not the text but via a solid bar, changing text attributes, etc.), while preserving text wrapping. If MS Project can wrap text and preserve the visual hierarchy, then I'm sure you could find a way as well. The issue details panel has very limited usability in our use case - noting that the same wrapping issue exists in the dashboard and issue views, where there is no details option.

Ultimately, it is arguably prudent to let your customers select the best viewing experience for them, and for us, we would strongly prefer the ability to see certain fields wrap.

Christopher, thanks a lot for your comments. We'll keep this in mind and maybe will try to come up with some good solution next time we revise our UI. How many lines would you expect the description to have?

My suggestion is to enable two or three rows - the goal would not be to wrap comments or another large text field, but title and a few others that tend to cut off.

I'm frustrated by the issue of text cutting cut off on my Kanban board.

As a simple solution - can we have the text terminate in ellipsis if the text is too long to be displayed? That way, at least it suggests to the user that there's too much text to fit 'em all in.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Jul 10, 2018 in Marketplace Apps

If you’re an Atlassian app developer, you’ll want to know about Atlas Camp!

This September 6-7, hundreds of Atlassian App developers will flock to Barcelona Spain to build skills, discover product roadmaps, meet face-to-face with the Atlassian team, and learn how to extend t...

176 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you