How can I spot duplicated issues in a Structure?

Adrien Gaudon December 18, 2017

My context is very specific: I have plugged a reporting tool (Power BI) to JIRA.

I need to generate reports based on my Structure (Project > Phase > Epic > Story > Sub-task)

For my report to make sense, I need to avoid duplicated issues in my structure. 

My problem doesn't come from the synchronizer, it comes from people manually adding stories to two different places when they shouldn't.

I'm open to all solution, here are the ones I have in mind:

1. Forbid a duplicate issue in a structure?
  2. Create an alert on a query that would return me the issues that can be found twice in a specific structure?

My environment:

• JIRA Server 7.1
  • Structure v. 4.1.1
  • ScriptRunner v. 5.1.6

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2017

In fact, I just checked, next Structure release will contain duplicates highlighting. Hopefully it will happen before New Year, but if not - soon after, so keep an eye out.

Regards,
Egor

Adrien Gaudon December 19, 2017

Thanks, I'll keep an yere on the next releases then :)

Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 29, 2017

Hi Adrien,

Version 4.5 of Structure has just been released. Here is the doc on identifying duplicate items.

Regards,
egor

1 vote
Answer accepted
Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2017

Hi Adrien,

Off the top of my head a solution I can suggest is to create two formula columns with formula being just 1. One column should only sum over sub-items, another - sub over sub-items and remove duplicates. Comparing those you will see where there are duplicates present. 

Not a very convenient solution, but in Structure 4.3 you can build the following formula COUNT#all{key}-COUNT{key}. Non-zero values mean that there are duplicates under those issues/items.

Highlighting exact duplicate items is currently impossible, as it is impossible to forbid users from creating duplicates.

Though there is an additional precaution a user can make to prevent adding the issue already existing in the Structure. When double grid layout is open, there is a button with overlapping circles on it in the top right corner of the structure board. Activating it will hide issues that are already present in the left-side structure, so it won't be possible to add them from the right panel. 

In the future we are planning to improve duplicates control, but currently the above are all the options available.

Kind regards,

Egor Tasa
ALM Works Support

Adrien Gaudon December 19, 2017

TRhank you Egor. This would have actually been a great solution, but I understand I need to migrate to a newer version of STructure first. I'm going to work on that.

Formula Columns would be great for us, and the tip to hide the issues already present can be great.

Thank you! As soon as I migrate, I will use your solution.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events