How can I make start times relative to each other without making dependencies?

Let's say I have 5 tasks assigned to me to be completed over the course of a week. I'd like to be able to see these tasks scheduled so that they aren't overlapping - without making them dependent on each other. I can set the start date for an issue only on a per day basis. But, if I have two four hour tasks, I'd like to be able to see them scheduled consecutively for the same day.

Is this possible with ganttOnDemand?

Thanks

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Accepted answer

Hi Moshe,

That's not possible, I'm afraid. Dependencies are the only option to make tasks relative to each other. Just out of curiosity, what is stopping you from using issue links (dependencies) is such scenario?

Hi Adrian,

There's nothing stopping me per se, but the issues themselves might have absolutely nothing to do with each other. I'm a bit of a purist and the idea of linking issues together for the sake of having a visual interpretation doesn't sit well with me.

OK, I understand. But since for rendering the issues has to be linked somehow anyway using exisitng standard Jira links is the best approach, I think. As some sort of workaround, you can choose a different than "blocks/blocked by" link for that purpose. You can't do that on your own at the moment, but I can setup this for your Jira instance if you wish so.

Thanks for the thought, but I don't think that's the direction I'd like to go in.

Hi Adrian,

I have the same question as Moshe, but would be willing to use links (dependencies), if I could figure out how to, so that the start date would be relative to the end date of a predecessor. Can links do that? And if so, how?

Thanks,

Liana

Hi Liana,

You just need to create a "Blocks/Blocked By" dependency between issues in JIRA or using Gantt OnDemand directly and that's it. You can check the documentation for more datails here:

https://wisoft.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GanttOnDemand/Issue+Dependencies

Also, if you don't see any dependencies on the gantt charts that are already defined, there might be an issue with your JIRA instance described here:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/272384/gantt-ondemand-beta-v0-9-6-beta-issue-dependencies-not-working

If that's the case, contact me directly at: support(at)wisoft.eu

Hi Adrian, I was able to make it work thanks to your instructions!

Thanks!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 29, 2018 in Marketplace Apps

How to set up an incident workflow from the VP of Engineering at Sentry

Hey Atlassian community, I help lead engineering at Sentry, an open-source error-tracking and monitoring tool that integrates with Jira. We started using Jira Software Cloud internally last year, a...

1,309 views 0 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you