How can I import optional items for checklist fields when creating issues from CSV files?

We have found the Checklist for JIRA plugin very useful. We are primarily using it for ad hoc lists so far, letting users enter different checklist items per issue.

I am currently preparing a parameterized Excel workbook with a long list of tasks to be done during our quarterly patching weeks. The latest version of the task sheet will be saved as a CSV-file and imported to JIRA ahead of each patching week.

Each issue has its own checklist. I have successfully created a checklist field with only optional items. The checklist field appear in the import mapping, however, the checklist export format is not accepted for CSV import. Neither have I found any other way to enter values for this field. Is there a way to import checklist items in the current plugin version? If not, is this a limitation in your plugin, or in JIRA?

• The value [ {null=* Send patch notifications} ] can't be added to the Custom Field [ Checklist Steps ]. The value [ {null=* Send patch notifications} ] can't be found or is in the incorrect format

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi,

Very sorry for the delay in the answer, Answers does not always send me notification when a question is asked for the plugin.

I have investigated this and while it is possible to import customfield values, the current JIRA implementation of the import for option-based customfield is useless as it tries to create global options for every item.

If you look at this thread, it seems that a user was able to update the field after the creation using JIRA CLI. Not as clean and useful but at least a work around.

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/35770724

Yves

This widget could not be displayed.

I have looked into all recommendations and discussion threads related to the checklist plugin, without finding a workaround I can use. I have considered using a bulk cloning plugin instead of CSV, but CSV import is preferable for my needs. 

There already is a workflow post function that can append or replace check list steps, as documented in https://okapya.atlassian.net/wiki/display/CHK/Modifying+a+Checklist+in+a+workflow. This almost solves my needs. Except that the post function apparently only can add predefined hardcoded steps...

If the post function could be extended to allow checklist steps to be created from a text representation in another field, I could import the desired checklists into a hidden custom field, and then do a bulk transition after import to initialize the checklists. 

The post function should accept the Import/export format defined in https://okapya.atlassian.net/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=16875531, making it simple for anyone to just export an existing checklist, and paste it into the corresponding Excel cell (representing the hidden text field).

Would this be possible for you to consider for an upcoming release?

Regards,

Einar

Hi Einar,

It is something that can be done but it is very much a workaround for something not working with JIRA. I will first try to see if I can work with Atlassian to figure out how I can import my customfield via their import mechanism. If it doesn't go anywhere, then I will put your suggestion in the backlog.

Yves

Hi Yves,

Any progress on how to import checklists from CSV files? I need to find a practical setup for my client shortly for the repeating patching needs. We strongly prefer using checklist over subtasks...

Einar

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 22, 2018 in Marketplace Apps

How a Marketplace app tech team is achieving gender diversity

Hello! My name is Genevieve Blanch, and I'm the Marketing Manager at RefinedWiki, creators of apps to give teams the tools to customize Atlassian platforms. Currently, 44% of the tech team at Re...

536 views 3 19
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you