How can I determine if a JIRA plugin is safe?

Matt Donofrio July 23, 2014

There are a few Marketplace plugins I'm looking to install and they are not from Atlassian. How can I be sure that these plugins aren't malicious? Are all marketplace plugins vetted for malicious code? Furthermore, what capabilities do plugins have; could they read in ticket info and make external requests to a malicious server?

2 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
wadey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 27, 2014

Matt,

We do an approval per Mehmet's answer, on all Paid-via-Atlassian add-ons. That includes design, feature and quality tests. We look for unusual behaviours and unusual traffic. We also do a cursory review of other add-ons. We don't review the source code however, and I do generally suggest if your company is security conscious (and many are) you do some testing of your own in an appropriate enviroment before installing in production; in order to ensure the plugins also meet your standards.

-nick wade
Head of Ecosystem

2 votes
Mehmet Kazgan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2014

They are safe, they would not be listed in Marketplace if otherwise. See the requirements here.

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/MARKET/Add-on+approval+guidelines

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2014

To add to that last point - yes, you could write a plugin that makes malicious requests to other servers. But it really would not make it far on the marketplace, and you'd have to have a jira admin who you could fool into uploading malicious software!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events