How can I achieve parameterization with Xray?

Sudheer Naik July 5, 2018

Suppose i have a test case which needs to be executed in 3 browsers, what is the best way for me to achieve it? 

Note: I cannot create 3 test cases because any changes in the test case or step, will have to be modified to others too. Hence test case maintenance cost is higher. 

One way i thought is to create multiple test executions of same test case in same test plan.

Any other thoughts, suggestions? 

1 answer

3 votes
José Domingues [Xray]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 11, 2018

Hi Sudheer,

Xray does not yet support parameterization although it's part of our roadmap for this year (https://confluence.xpand-addons.com/display/XRAY/Roadmap).

However, for your specific use case, you may take advantage of the Test Environments capability of Xray and specify the browser name as being the Test Environment. More info here: https://confluence.xpand-addons.com/display/XRAY/Working+with+Test+Environments 

This means that you have to create at least one Test Execution per each different environment (i.e. browser). The Tests themselves will be the same.

Best regards,

Xray Team

Elie El-Tawil September 7, 2018

Any idea of the timeline for Test Parametrization?

Sudheer Naik September 7, 2018

This wont work out, since we are planning to do in a large scale. When is Xray releasing parameterization feature? 

Elie El-Tawil September 7, 2018

Actually, I want to know what this new features (Test parametrization) would look like?

I would be willing to wait and use a workaround until you release it.

Meanwhile, if I know what the solution could look like I would try to put something in place that would be easy to transfer back into that feature once delivered.

Thanks

José Domingues [Xray]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 14, 2018

Hi,

We aim to address it later this year.

We have not yet detailed the features for it but probably we'll use some placeholders that will be replaced with test data. We have an initial rough epic where you can leave your suggestions (there's already some discussion going there). Your input is welcome!

https://jira.xpand-it.com/browse/XRAY-1734

Best regards,

Xray Team

Elie El-Tawil September 14, 2018

Yes, I added my comment (user eetawil) if this can be implemented it would be absolutely perfect.

Please ensure that the product team looks at it, this is what's done with today by Microsoft /hp tools... I would be more than happy to talk to them directly if needed or to help in any way to make this product the tool that it needs to be.

Kristi Dickey June 24, 2020

Has Test Parameters been implemented in Xray? We are moving from DevOps to Jira and parameters are a big part of our test cases. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events