Hijack JIRA issue attach file button

Bob September 5, 2013

I need to replace the existing JIRA issue attach file button with my own file manager. It would have the same functionality, i.e., clicking it would cause a dialog to pop up where I can select one or more files for upload. Upon successful upload, I would need to refresh the attachment panel to show all the files. I am doing this to work around the 2GB file size limit and to have full control over the repository. What's the best way to do it?

4 answers

0 votes
Bob September 10, 2013

My users are on modern browsers, so it shouldn't be a issue, some files are as big as 500+GB, guess I'll find out soon enough :) Thanks for your feedback.

0 votes
MB
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2013

The problem is on the client side OS actually. Browsers usually just call the native FileOpen dialogs, that provide them with the chosen file name and then they use native FileOpen(), FileRead(), etc. methods to get the file content. The idea is that the client OS also needs to be able to support file sizes over 2 GB. The good thing is that most of the modern OS support that :)

P.S. One way to circumvent this limitation is to break the file apart on the user's side (so that each part is less than 2 GB in size), upload those parts on the server and join them, since you control the server and can configure it to support file sizes over 2 GB.

0 votes
Bob September 10, 2013

Yes, I am aware of the 2GB server side limitation though I wasn't aware of the browsers limitation, is this still a problem for moderm browsers like Chrome, Firefox, IE, etc.

0 votes
MB
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2013

I assume you are aware that both your user (accessing your JIRA through his browser) and your JIRA server need to support files bigger than 2 GB in order for that to work.

Having that said, you can take a look into file "jira/webapp/secure/views/issue/attachfile.jsp" and start from there maybe.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events