Herzum approval and Post Functions

Colleen Vollmer April 6, 2015

I have an approval set up on a transition from In Progress to Ready for Deployment, the approval is such that the user requests approvals and all approvals must be received and only then will the work item be updated to a status of Ready for Deployment.

I also have a Post Function on the same transition.  It seems as though the Post Function and Approval are not working together, meaning the Approval works on it's own to transition the work item to Ready for Deployment, but the post function is never triggered.  If I remove the Approval, the Post Function works as expected.

Please advise if there is another setting that needs to be configured in order for these two functions to work together.

Thank you,

Colleen

11 answers

0 votes
Antonella Capalbo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2015

Colleen,

Herzum Approval version 2.8 is now available on the Atlassian Marketplace.

Do not hesitate to contact me if you need any further assistance.

Best Regards

0 votes
Antonella Capalbo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2015

Hi Colleen,

the add-on version 2.8 is ready for the Atlassian Marketplace.
The release request has been addressed to our Director Atlassian practice just today.
I expect that this version fixes your problem related to the 'JIRA error page' on issue transitioning.
Regards
0 votes
Colleen Vollmer July 7, 2015

Antonella,

We did not have a Conditional Rule defined.  Thus, removal of a conditional rule isn't an option to fix this for us.  We are encountering this issue when a JIRA work item enters the transitions state for which we have an approval workflow configured. 

Meaning from the moment that I upgraded, with no configuration changes, we began receiving an error that limited our ability to view the work item. 

Do you have an estimated date when a fix will be available to address this?

Thank you,

Colleen

0 votes
Antonella Capalbo
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 30, 2015

The bug has been reproduced on JIRA version 6.1.5.

We are going to fix it on the next add-on version.

You can temporary fix the problem just deleting the configured Conditional Rule via the Conditional Rule Administration screen.

Regards 

0 votes
Antonella Capalbo
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 29, 2015

Hi Colleen,

tomorrow morning we will start to investigate your problem.

Please send me your e-mail address (antonella.capalbo@herzum.com) so that, if it is necessary, we can schedule a call tomorrow in the afternoon.

Regards

0 votes
Colleen Vollmer June 29, 2015

Antonella,

In the above mentioned scenario, we were not getting a validation error.  The work item status would transition as expected once approvals were received, the post-function simply would not execute.

With that said, I'm following up with you also to report that now that I have updated to Plug in version

2.7-GA-6.0-6.4, our approval workflow does not work at all.  This morning all issues with the approval workflow configured had an alert that stated that a user had to be defined on the Conditional Rule setting, so I added our Admin user as the defined system user.  Once I did that, any issue that was transitioned resulted in a JIRA error page and we could no longer access the issue at all unless the approval configuration was completely turned off for that project/issue type combination.
Would it be possible to set up a call and desktop sharing session so that you can assist with this issue?  I have tried multiple changes following the instructions in the user guide and have been unable to correct this issues since the upgrade.  I have attached a screenshot with the error we are now getting, causing us to be unable to access our JIRA work items for your review.JIRA error.jpg
0 votes
Antonella Capalbo
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 31, 2015

Hi Coolen,

I need further information describing the scenario not working as expected (the third).

Expected pre-conditions:

1. Awt Responsive set to true and applied Awt user is an active user on your jira instance
  2. Awt set to true 
    1. for the specific project/issue type/transition configured via the Approval Mapping configuration if you want this setting is active for all issues belonging to the  project/issue type 
      OR
    2. for the specific issue via the Define Approval screen.

Expected behavior:

1. when all required approvals have been approved  and all validators and conditions are satisfied, the issue is automatically transitioned and post functions triggered 
    OR
  2. when all required approvals have been approved  and validators and conditions are NOT ALL satisfied, the issue is NOT automatically transitioned and NO post function is triggered

I suppose you are meeting a failure scenario (bahaviour 2) due to existing conditions and validators are not all satisfied. You can easily check it because when it occurs you display an alert icon as per the example provided below:

AlerIcon.PNG
When clicking the icon you can display the complete alert message as per the example provided below:

Alert.PNG

Can you, please, confirm me that it is the scenario you are encountering?

If not, can you please provide me further details describing?

If the scenario you are encountering is the second I have mentioned, you need to set your configured conditions and validators and, in same cases, your project permission settings, so that the user set on your global AWT configuration can satisfy all conditions and validators.

E.g. Condition: Only users with Assign Issues permission can execute this transition.

-> You need to update Project Permission schema so that the user set on the Global Awt setting has Assign Issues permission.

If you need, I'm available to support you to manage these settings but I need to have the screenshots of the conditions and validators configured for the specific transition and if any permission condition is set, also the project permission’s screenshot.

Regards

0 votes
Colleen Vollmer May 30, 2015

Antonella,

Thank you for getting back to me, however, I'm still unable to get the post functions to work with the approval workflow.

When using a Post Function to assign to a specific user and the Responsive Automatic Transition, the transition does not work. 

I have tested various scenarios detailed below and found that the following combinations do, leading me to believe that there is an issue with the approval tool:

1. Porject with Herzum Approval, with Post Function, Forced Automatic Transition - Post Functions do not work, as expected.
  2. Project without Herzum Approval, with Post Functions - Post Functions work.
  3. Project with Herzum Approval, with Post Functions, Responsive Automatic Transition - Post Functions do not work.

Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated. 

Thank you,

Colleen

0 votes
Antonella Capalbo
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2015

Our Approval add-on Version 2.3 provides this functionality.

The linked page illustrates how to manage your approval global settings to allow the add-on to trigger the existing post functions: 

https://chicago.herzum.com/confluence/display/HAP/Configure+automatic+workflow+transition+global+settings.

Sincerely

0 votes
Colleen Vollmer April 7, 2015

Thanks Antonella.  I appreciate you getting back to me so quickly.

0 votes
Antonella Capalbo
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2015

Hi Colleen,
we are aware of this limitation related to the approval's automatic workflow transitioning and
we have already planned to fix that on a new release that will be available not later than the end of April.

Best Regards

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events