From email not using new outgoing email address

Heng Cheong April 12, 2016

Potential bug detected:

Our outgoing mail address is re-configured as jira@swcdev.com.au. This is confirmed working via the "Send a test email" via the native JIRA administration of Outgoing Mail.

However,  after creating a new approval "ticket" the "From" address is still using the old previously configured outgoing email address wrms@swcdev.com.au.

Not sure whether it is related to: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/37029442 where it was reported a similar experience:

--- snip ---

Systems Administrator

I figured out the problem and it concerns the existing email account set in my JIRA(jira@travelzoo.com).  After creating a unique email address (jira_approval@travelzoo.com) strictly for Approval purposes only, I now have a new problem I encountered.

Issue;

After creating an ticket, an email is sent out to request approval but the "From" address is stilljira@travelzoo.com instead of jira_approval@travelzoo.com.  This causes the @APPROVED to fail.

--- snip ---

So, it seems like like the outgoing email address is not being picked up dynamically - but is stored somewhere from initial configuration?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Antonella Capalbo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2016

Could you please have check on the email address setup on the Notification configuration of the Project from whom you are sending the Approval request e-mails?

Project.PNG

The Project Email Address overrides the SMTP mail server From address.
Page https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/configuring-jira-s-smtp-mail-server-to-send-notifications-185729628.html  details the topic.

Please, let me know if this is the case.

Heng Cheong April 17, 2016

Thank you. This is indeed the case.

Randee024 January 2, 2018

same here. i already try your solution: changing the project default notification email. but still it uses the old email. 

0 votes
Antonella Capalbo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2016

Hello,

Consider that the email "From" address is the e-mail account persisted in the Username field of your outgoing mail server configuration (not the From address field).

The Username will be the e-mail 'From' address of the JIRA test email and equally of the 'Approval required email'.

Username.PNG

Can you please ensure having setup jira@swcdev.com.au as new Username?

Sincerely,

Antonella

Heng Cheong April 14, 2016
  • I can confirm that is not the case for us.
  • Username is left empty for us (not using authenticated SMTP for outgoing mail). As mentioned earlier, when using the system "Send test email" - the correct (new) from address is received.
  • Only Herzum Approval emails are propagating the old "from" address.

outgoing_mail.PNG

Randee024 January 2, 2018

in my opinion this is not the solution because if your username is incorrect you can test the connection and it will prompt that the authentication is unsuccessful. is this a bug in jira or something needs to configure? i also configure the mail sender configuration. we have a same scenario with Heng Cheong need help with this. thanks

Antonella Capalbo
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2018

Hello Randy,

Could you please open a Support Request in our Help Desk customer portal (https://chicago.herzum.com/jira/plugins/servlet/desk/portal/44)?

In order to investigate the issue, I need the following information:

• zip file that you can generate on the Herzum Approval-Troubleshooting and Support administration screen

img1.JPG

• The Project’s Email address

img2.JPG

• The Email From setting in the Jira General configuration

img3.JPG

Best Regards,

Antonella

Randee024 January 3, 2018

in my case i didn't use herzum approval. i created a new ticket in atlas check this link thank you for your response i really need your help.

here is the detailed ticket i hope you can help me:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-questions/Email-notification-it-is-still-using-the-old-smtp-settings-old/qaq-p/697021

0 votes
Heng Cheong April 12, 2016

Confirmed same experience on latest Herzum Approval:

3.8.1-JIRA-6.0-6.4
JIRA 6.4.7

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events