Formatting output Math

Is there an easyish way of setting the vertical gap between lines? In the example, below the two lines render to close to eachother.

\begin{align}
	f'(x) &= 4x + 24 - 24 \\
	&=  4x
\end{align}

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Accepted answer

Locally:

Try adding [<height>] as in the following example:

\begin{align}
	f'(x) &amp;= 4x + 24 - 24 \\[5ex]
	&amp;=  4x
\end{align}

Globally:

For the external renderer, add the following line to the end of the LaTeX header in the LaTeX Math configuration:

\setlength{\jot}{5ex}

If you are using MathJax or the internal renderer, then unfortunately no global option is available at the moment. You are welcome to create an issue here: https://bitbucket.org/tensixtwo/latex-math/issues

Thanks!

The [5ex] does what I want but can't I do that globally?

align and align* seem to do the same thing - they both number if I have the anchor

Ok, I updated the answer for you. If using align does not add duplicate numbering, then it is probably because you are using the internal renderer, in which case don't worry about it.

Thanks, I'll create the issue because I use it all over the place and I never need one line to be hard up against another.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 29, 2018 in Marketplace Apps

How to set up an incident workflow from the VP of Engineering at Sentry

Hey Atlassian community, I help lead engineering at Sentry, an open-source error-tracking and monitoring tool that integrates with Jira. We started using Jira Software Cloud internally last year, a...

1,431 views 0 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you