Error rendering macro 'flowchart' : No useable executable name defined in graphviz.properties

TSO Logic Admin July 29, 2013

Hello, We installed the Graphviz plugin (v2.1.1) for Confluence (v4.3.1) to evaluate for purchase decision. But are getting an error even before we begin.

Repro Steps:

1. Insert a Flowchart via macro wizard.

Expected:

• No error

Actual:

• We get the following error in the macro wizard:
    "Error rendering macro 'flowchart' : No useable executable name defined in graphviz.properties"

Please help us revolve ASAP, so that we can evaluate your product.

Thank you,

Johnny

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 29, 2013

You don't say whether you have installed Graphviz on your server, and the error message you are getting is telling you that whatever you have configured, it's wrong.

See https://bobswift.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GVIZ/How+to+install+Graphviz+software

Once you've installed it, the dot executable must be on the path used by Confluence on startup.

TSO Logic Admin July 31, 2013

Hello Nic,

So that was it - need to manually install the additional software pieces.

I am used to installing Atlassian plugins without the need for any further manual installation steps.

Thanks!

-Johnny

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2013

It's an unusual one because it relies on external functionality. It's mildly annoying when installing, but I don't think there's a better route really because the graphviz executable is OS dependent and you wouldn't want to try to bind that into a plugin.

0 votes
TSO Logic Admin July 29, 2013

BTW, I already tried the online-suggested workaround of restarting Confluence (to free up memory). But still got the exact same behaviour.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events