Email filtering and ticketing/comment grouping

Claire Bresee November 25, 2015

Hello, 

I'm currently using a different email handler and but I'm not sure if its going to work for me. We're still seeing if it can meet our needs but we are also looking at different add-on options. 

This is what we need to be able to do:

-Block incoming emails from certain email addresses from being processed. Our current handler is supposed to be able to do this but it doesn't.

-Filter and match incoming emails with current issues/tickets, add incoming matching emails as comments to the given current tickets to preventing overlapping tickets from being generated regarding the same issue. Currently, we sometimes get anywhere from two to 10 incoming emails that look almost identical. There isn't a ticket number in the subject so they aren't matching. We set up a regex filter that works in the testing environment but when put live doesn't do anything.

-Keep email correspondence of the same thread within the same ticket. Sometimes a ticket is generated after the second or third email in a conversation. Then the email gets filtered into our JIRA email handler. For some reason, when this happens, the thread gets split apart and individual tickets are created for every email, not just one.

I hope my description of our goals are easy to understand. Please let me know if these needs would be possibly met with your product. 

Look forward to hearing back from you. 

Thanks, 

Claire Bresee

Syncro Services Inc. 

cbresee@syf.com

212-273-0522

1 answer

0 votes
nsacerdote December 10, 2015

Hi Claire,

Some of your needs can be met with our product:

1. Block incoming emails from certain email addresses from being processed --> This is completely possible with Email Helpdesk for JIRA. Please check our documentation for more information (Page 15 - Filters), and contact us if you have doubts or problems configuring this feature.
  2. With Helpdesk for JIRA you are able to filter and match incoming emails with current issues/tickets, with the condition that the emails should have a ticket number in the subject. If you receive 10 emails without ticket number in the subject, then 10 issues will be created.
  3. Keep email correspondence of the same thread within the same ticket. --> The same condition described in point #2 applies here, in order to detect emails as part of a ticket, it is required that the email subject contains the ticket number. 
  4. Our add-on "Email Helpdesk for JIRA" is meant to be used in a different way:
    1. User writes an email to your support address.
    2. Ticket is created in JIRA, user gets a ticket number.
    3. From now on, the user can write emails with the ticket number in the subject and these emails will be added as comments to the issue.
    4. If you want to contact with the user you can do so using the comments on the issue.

If you have any doubt please don't hesitate in contacting us again.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events