Easy Agile how to: Change story -> epic, and/or change epic -> story?

Mike December 26, 2017

We're building our first story map.

We sometimes realize that what we thought was a story should in fact be an epic. And vice versa.

1. We want to do this in the GUI but it won't let us. Is there a setting for this?
  2. When we edit the settings for a story we can convert it to an epic. However, the story's name does not then show in story map view (though we can see it in Edit view).
  3. When we convert an epic to a story -- again, we have to do it by editing, but we really want to do it in the GUI! -- then the epic disappears completely. What's up with that?
  4. How do we delete an epic? we can delete stories, but epics seem to be forever so we can't even come up with a workaround for #2 above.

Thank you!

2 answers

0 votes
Florian Moser January 16, 2018

HI Seamus - can you also tell me if it is possible not to show all EPICS in the Story Map? I do not want to show all EPICS that we have in JIRA just the ones that we currently build on. Thank you in advance and best regards,

Florian

Seamus Kieran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2018

Hi Florian, thanks for reaching out.

There are two ways to hide Epics you are not currently working on, both of which can be found in this knowledge base article

If the Epic has been completed you can update it's status as "Done" then de-select the "Show Done Epics" option under the Ellipsis dropdown menu.

If the Epic has not been completed but you wish to hide it you can use Quick Filters along with the "Apply Quick Filters to Epics" option in the Ellipsis dropdown menu. 

Please let me know if there is anything more I can do to assist you. If you would like further assistance configuring your Quick Filter queries please reach out to us at support@easyagile.com and we will be happy to help.

Kind Regards,

Seamus Kieran

Easy Agile Support Team

Florian Moser January 16, 2018

thank you Seamus. I have realized that quick filter is the best way to perform that. 

Rubén Heras August 23, 2018

hi,

I'm testing the trial version of this plugin and I am not able to hide the epics that we don't to see in the story map board.

I created a quick filter in the board with a JQL like 

"Epic Link"  != EpicName-1  

when applying the filter, all tickets dissapear.

not sure if I'm not understanding well the procedure to not show all epics in the story map.

many thanks in advance!

Rubén

0 votes
Seamus Kieran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2018

Hi, thanks for reaching out.

I'll work through your questions point-by-point, please let me know if you'd like any further clarification or if I've missed anything:

1. At present you cannot change the issue type through the story map. I have added this as a feature request on our development backlog, and have made a note to reach out to you when/if we ship it.

2. The name displayed for stories is the "Summary" field whereas the name displayed for Epics is the "Epic Name" field. When you convert a Story to an Epic the "Summary" field stays the same but the "Epic Name" field will be blank. This is a bug in Jira that has been raised with Atlassian in JRACLOUD-41733.

3. The newly converted Story will disappear from the story map as it is not currently linked to an Epic. You can re-add it to the story map by clicking the "Add Existing Issue" link under the Epic you wish to link it to.

4. In order to delete an Epic you must enter the Epic's settings page and select the delete option. You can select this option under the "More" drop down menu, or by pressing the period (.) key and typing delete.

Please let me know if there is anything more I can do to assist you.

Kind Regards,
Seamus Kieran
Easy Agile Support Team

Mike January 7, 2018

Seamus, thank you for your reply!

1. Yes, please tell me if/when you add the feature.

2-3. Ah, that makes sense.

4. No wonder I can't delete, I don't have delete permission.

You've answered all my questions (at least for now), thanks again!

- Mike Dash, Kuelap

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events