Drag And Drop - Support for Outlook Emails

Deleted user May 12, 2014

Are there any plans to allow the drag and drop plug-in to support dragging and dropping of eamil messages from your Outlook inbox?

Our support team have to do this all the time, and currently they first have to drag to the Windows desktop, then into Jira - if they could do this in one movement it would be a big help.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Grzegorz Tańczyk
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 13, 2014

We are lacking support from browsers in this case, it should would just work out of the box.

There is some outstanding issue in Firefox issue tracker:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=580928

Unfortunately it seems that there is no progress on that.

Deleted user May 13, 2014

Thanks - that's a shame.

We use Chrome and it doesn't work on that either. I've also tested it on IE. What browsers does it work on?

Grzegorz Tańczyk
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 13, 2014

It depends not only on browser, but also on system and on Outlook version, I was not able to find any combination that would work.

j.jarvela January 19, 2018

Returning back to this. In 3 years time, has anything changed? Are browsers and systems providing the support needed to enable drag/drop attachments, lets say from Outlook 2013/16?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2018

I'm afraid not.  Browsers and Outlook still don't talk to each other properly.  Most browsers do actually work, they'll take the emails as attachments.  But outlook doesn't serve up emails in a useful format, so you just get blobs attached.

Nick April 12, 2018

This function would also be amazingly handy for me and my teams. I am able to drag and drop Outlook 2016 emails directly to JIRA in Microsoft Edge and then download/open them from the site perfectly too. Only Edge though, Chrome pretends it's going to work by showing the copy/paste icon on the cursor while dragging but then does nothing. If anyone finds a plugin/setting or way to make it for Chrome I'd love to know as that's what my user base mostly uses!

Sue Dilley June 8, 2018

I've recently moved from IBM Note to Outlook and can no longer drag and drop emails which is very frustrating as my main source of information. I now save emails and upload....which it isn't great.

This link was added to another chat stream and you can 'vote' top right.  This, from what I can work out, is how Atlassian decide on if something is worth investigating and fixing. More votes = higher user demand

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-60178?jql=text%20~%20%22Outlook%22 

I am of course assuming this issue hasn't been resolved as I've not found anything yet. I have voted... the more the merrier and fingers crossed they will see a bounce in votes and take a look!

Like # people like this
Bethany October 8, 2018

THANK YOU

1 vote
Roel January 25, 2019

I'm sorry to re-open this kind of ancient post, but I use DragDrop.
It is an Add-in that supports Outlook 2007 and up, and makes dragging and dropping through outlook and any dropzone possible.
I use it very often and it is such a handy and powerful tool.

You can find DragDrop here.
Oh, and they also provide free trial here.

0 votes
Tim Wedemann July 18, 2019

This works natively in Chromium 76 Beta and should be released to Stable on July 30th.

Roel October 21, 2019

Yup, but good to know: DragDrop also works with older browsers and other browsers.

Tim Wedemann October 21, 2019

Outlook Drag&Drop does not work with older Versions of Chrome or Chromium.

Roel October 21, 2019

Yes it does, look their FAQ:
https://www.dragdrop.com/faq/#toggle-id-4
image.png

Tim Wedemann October 21, 2019

https://www.dragdrop.com is a product offered by a third party company and has nothing to do with the native HTML Drag&Drop feature, which is being discussed here.

Roel October 21, 2019

I know but that tool lets you drag emails from outlook to any version of a browser (where it isn't natively supported)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events