Custom field auto populate based on the value in another custom field Edited

How to auto populate the team member's department based on their user name.

I have 5 departments each having 20 - 50 people in them.  When they are the the reporter or assignee, I have a custom field that calls for their department.

I would like the department custom fields to auto populate based on those 5 lists.

Additionally, there is a lot of movement in the lists.

What would be the best way to do this?

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.

The easiest would probably to create these 5 departments as JIRA Groups, so that you can benefit from JIRA's group management interface to maintain them.

Then you could use a Set Field Value to Constant or Groovy Expression post-function from JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions (JMWE) to look up the reporter or assignee against these 5 groups (with a simple script) and set the custom field value accordingly.

If you want the department custom fields to adjust dynamically on existing issues when a user moves from one department to another, then you'd be better off using a Calculated Text Field from JIRA Misc Custom Fields (JMCF) and, again, a simple script to look up the department using the groups.

Thank you David.  This is very helpful.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 22, 2018 in Marketplace Apps

How a Marketplace app tech team is achieving gender diversity

Hello! My name is Genevieve Blanch, and I'm the Marketing Manager at RefinedWiki, creators of apps to give teams the tools to customize Atlassian platforms. Currently, 44% of the tech team at Re...

491 views 3 18
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you