Create linked issue with specific status through post-function

Max Andersen August 7, 2017

Hi Community,

I have one workflow A--> B--> C--> D--> Closed 1 or Closed B

I need to run one issue through the workflow and upon it's reaching Closed 1 I use a post-function to create a linked issue which works great - however I need to be able to specify that it needs to start only in status C rather than A (where it does so by default).

Is there a way to, through a post-function or otherwise to modify the status of all such issue's which are created to be of a different status?

Thank you very much for any help you can give me.

1 answer

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2017

Hi Max,

since you added the label add-on jira-misc-workflow-extension, I assume you own this one.

This plugin has a post-function called "Transition linked issues". You have already created linked issues when you reach "Closed 1". So it is easy to transition that new linked issue from A to B and then from B to C with two post functions.

Max Andersen August 14, 2017

Hi Thmoas,

Thanks for your answer - and yes indeed I agree however I only want that automatic transition to happen for the linked issue not for the original (which runs through the same steps). How would one best differentiate the two and have them run differently through the same workflow?

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2017

Hi Max,

maybe I missed something, but if your first issue is reaching "Closed 1" it will create "issue 2" and bring this issue with two post functions to status C. The original issue is not touched by this post functions.

Hi Thomas,

Indeed that is true - however the original issue has to manually pass through A and B without automatically moving along to C, and that prior to reaching Closed 1. Thus the post-function on A & B would have to be able to differentiate between what is an original issue (which should manually go through each state) and what is an issue created through a post-function (which should bypass A & B automatically) and only 'fire' based on such recognition.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 14, 2017

The post functions I mentioned are on transition d->closed 1, not on a->b or b->c. They behave like some kind of "remote control" for the linked issues.

Do you have other post functions on a->b or b->c that should not be fired?

Ah - I didn't know that was possible ok, and no at the moment no specific transitions that should be excluded for a -b or b - c (is it possible to exclude such?)

In this case perhaps I should return to the drawing board - however I am not sure which type of transition to run things as a "remote control"? Transition Linked Issue?

Thank you very much for your insights.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 14, 2017

You can run every transition you want. The post function "Transition Linked Issues" asks for the name of the transition. If the linked issue's status has a transition with that name, it will be executed.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events