Copy a test step in Zephyr

Jessica Sullivan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2014

in Zephyr, within a test cycle, in a test case - how do I copy a test step and paste it within the same test case as another case? Sometimes two test cases are almost the same so it would be nice to copy a step instead of having to type everything over again for the next step in the case.

Thank you.

-JS

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Emily Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2014

Hi JS,

I was able to get an update of where we stand with the ability to clone test cases. Below is a link to our comm forum. I typed up an explanation to the on what we currently have. If you have any questions regarding this please let us know:

http://community.yourzephyr.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1328

Kind Regards,

Emily

Paulie Rainbow January 28, 2014

So, it looks as though the upgrade will address my Example 1 but not my Example 2.

Would the development team consider the situation I outline in Example 2 above?

1 vote
Paulie Rainbow January 28, 2014

I'm having the same problem, I think.

Example 1: Within a single test case I have a test step to check a status on another page, or to check a database for a specific change. I may wish to do this repeatedly throughout the test. The step might be the same, but the result would be different. If I could copy the step, and just modify the Expected Result, this would save a lot of time, and may prevent human error.

Example 2: I have a new test case that combines the variables of two (or more) already existing test cases. It is possible that putting these variables together will yield a different result, and may uncover an error. I can clone one of the pre-existing test cases, but then I have to manually add all of the related steps from the other test case. Again, if I could copy the steps from that other test case, and perhaps make some small modifications, this would save a lot of time, and may prevent human error.

0 votes
Emily Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2014

Hi JS,

I want to make sure I am understanding your steps 100%. The reason for this is even if it is not possible at this time, if I can understand what it is you are trying to do I can pass it along to our product team. This way they can decide if it will be a good feature request or not.

Can you please provide a step by step description of what it is you are doing? It is my understanding that you want to copy a test step from one test case to another. Is this correct?

Kind Regards,

Emily

Jeff Piper September 4, 2020

I want to do the same. I have 16 tests and have added a step to the first one. I want to copy that step to the other 15.

Being able to select which steps to copy would be really useful

0 votes
geomatani January 27, 2014

That would be a nice and useful feature, but as far as I know thats not posible now.

You have todo it manualy

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events