Confusing message displays when voting or completing survey

Courtney Campbell June 29, 2014

I'm testing this plugin out, and when I vote or answer a survey question I receive the message, "You have successfully removed your vote". When the page reloads, the vote has been properly placed/saved.

I'd love to use this plugin, but this bug could be confusing to my users.

1 answer

0 votes
Frank Stiller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2014

Hi Courtney,

i see. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Usually the confirmation message is shown so shortly that i never recognized it (of course a developer is blind to its own failures).

it will be fixed with the next release and is tracked in this plugins issuetracker: https://github.com/drohne1673/confluence-survey-plugin/issues/41

Update: The issue has been resolved. The next scheduled release is planed in the next 7 days, if that is ok for you.

Update #2: The new version 2.8.1 has been released which resolves this issue.

Frank Stiller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2014

Hi Courtney, did you try the new version? Are you still having any issues, especially the here mentioned problem?

Nicolas De Toffoli August 18, 2014

Hi,

Using version 2.8.2, the popup still appears after making a vote. Has the fix been delivered?

Frank Stiller
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 18, 2014

Yes the fix has been published as mentioned by "update #2" and can be seen on github in the actual sourcecode. Can you state the exact steps and or attach screenshots which trouble you?

Nicolas De Toffoli August 18, 2014

I click on a checkbox under a question. Then:

1. The popup is displayed:

2. The vote result is displayed:

The popup is misleading. It would be better not to have it.

Frank Stiller
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 19, 2014

Thanks for the details.

i know the message is displayed miliseconds before the actual page reload is done, but

1. the message is visible very short termed
  2. the message fits perfectly what happens shortly after (after the page refresh is done), doesnt it?

What exactly is misleading? First you voted, message box correctly states that you have voted, after that the list displays your vote. I cant see any inconsistency in that

Nicolas De Toffoli August 21, 2014

Hi Frank,

The popup display is confusing as:

1. This confirmation is redundant, and thus useless, with the display of the vote results that appears afterwards

2. It slows down the display of the whole Confluence page.

Therefore, would it be possible to remove this popup?

Frank Stiller
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 22, 2014

Hi Nicolas,

sure this is possible. The source code is available for anyone anyway, so even a pull request is fine. I created a improvement request https://github.com/drohne1673/confluence-survey-plugin/issues/47with the question to either toggle between displaying messages or removing them all along. I still hasitate to remove them completely as i like confirmation like "your changes have been stored". But i am fine both ways, actually.

Actually i am not using confluence myself for over 3 years now, so i dont have a decent userbase i can test it ;).

Frank Stiller
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 2, 2014

The confirmation message has been removed as noted in the improvement request

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events