Condition based on value returned from external API

markea February 9, 2018

It would be great to have a condition that checked an external API for a set of predefined values in a JSON response and then perform actions based on the response.

The use I have for this is as follows:

I work at a college in upstate NY and it snows a lot here... stay with me. We often have snow days in the winter and when we have snow days the college closes unexpectedly. This means there is no one around to update JIRA. When there is no one around to update JIRA, a bunch of our SLA's end up breaching.

I would love to be able to create a small API that returns a Boolean value that signifies if the college is closed or not. I would have the automation plugin poll this API each time an issue is created and if the value returned from the API is true an action would fire pausing the SLA on that issue. So it never has a moment to count down.

My use case aside, there are probably plenty of other valid uses for this kind of functionality.

1 answer

0 votes
Deleted user February 12, 2018

Hey there Alex,

Interesting use case! :)

It's something that can probably be solved if we add the option to parse the response data from a webhook. https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-204

That way you can have an action that pings an external system, store the response, then evaluate that in the condition afterwards. We'll make sure we update this question when the feature is added

Cheers,

Mark C

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events