Checklist for Jira – "Import items from issue" search queries not working as expected

Javier Otero September 9, 2018

I'm mostly impressed with this addon but have run into an odd issue when attempting to import items from checklists on other issues. When opening the "Import items from issue," and attempting to search for an issue by key I receive no results. If I repeat the search using a full word (not a partial word) that is in the summary, then they appear.

My expectation is that since the search field placeholder prompts me to "Type issue key or text here" I should be able to do exactly that. The actual results seem to be very strict limits that make it difficult to meaningfully search for issues.

Note that I attempted numerous formats for both the issue key and summary queries (i.e., wrapping them in brackets, quotes, MR, "MR-10", [MR-10], etc). I've also included screenshots of each step below.

Here's some possibly useful device + browser facts:

• Google Chrome Version 68.0.3440.106 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    • No ad blockers enabled
  • MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
  • macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G65)

I'd appreciate anyone's insights on if this is how the search feature is expected to work or if there's an issue with Checklist.

Open the "..." icon on the Checklist attached to a Story

Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 8.56.35 PM.png

Select "Import items from issue"

Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 8.53.40 PM.png

Attempt to search for an issue by key (in this case, our project has "MR")

Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 8.54.21 PM.png

Attempt to search for a word in the issue/story summary

Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 8.54.35 PM.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Yves Riel [Okapya]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 9, 2018

Hi Javier,

If you want to search for issue key, you must provide the full issue key and it must be uppercase. For example, in your case, you can type MR-10 and it will show you the items for that particular issue.

Yves

Javier Otero September 10, 2018

Hi Yves!

Thanks so much for your answer. Weirdly, I thought I attempted this and it didn't work before – but it does. My guess is I had it lowercase.

It would be great if the search was a little looser (for example, allowing MR-1 to return issue keys starting with that string, as opposed to an exact match and case insensitive). Same with issue summary queries (for example, typing "use" doesn't return any issues with summary "user").

Otherwise, you have to search for specific issue numbers, which you might not have a full picture of (especially in a larger backlog or, in our case, searching across multiple projects).

Curious what your take on that from a usability standpoint is, Yves?

I'll email the maker (Okapya) outlining this case, hopefully, they agree!

Yves Riel [Okapya]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 10, 2018

Hi Javier,

I'm the maker :-)

The reason for not being looser is due to Jira's API. we can query for specific issue by key only by providing full IDs, not partial ones.

So we detect that the search string matches an issue key (thus the mandatory uppercase) and make the request to Jira. Otherwise it's a text query like we currently have.

Yves

P.S. It was a pleasure answering such a completely defined question.

P.P.S. You can also submit questions to our support portal.

Ah ha! Got it, that makes sense the limitation comes from Jira's API. Appreciate the link to your support portal – we'll let you know how our experience with your wonderful addon goes.

I've set up similar functionality in the past using Jira Core, and I have to say thank you so much for creating Checklist – it's a game changer!

Thanks again for your help.

Yves Riel [Okapya]
Marketplace Partner
September 10, 2018

No problem and good luck with your trial!

Thank you!

Also, for the sake of future folks browsing this answer, here's the official documentation for Importing Checklist Items.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events