Checklist for Jira plug in

Carolyn Howie September 12, 2016

Hi,

We have installed the Checklist for JIRA Plug in to evaluate it  (version 3.1.2) but am having trouble getting it you work as documented.

We can get a hard coded list of things to check appearing but can not manually add items to the checklist as documented in https://okapya.atlassian.net/wiki/display/CHK/Editing+a+Checklist

The Admin guide indicates that "Checklist adds two more: Discretionary Options and Parameters. " but this has not happened in our installation.  

What step have I overlooked?

Thanks

Carolyn

8 answers

0 votes
Yves Riel [Okapya]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 13, 2016

Hi Carolyn,

Don't worry about my time, just glad that we were able to sort things out. Good luck with your evaluation and I hope you will find Checklist useful.

Yves

0 votes
Carolyn Howie September 13, 2016

Hi Yves,

Not a silly question!

We have only installed the Okapya Checklist plugin (no other plug in for checklists) but as I hadn't played with them before I was too keen when creating the custom field and accidentally selected a Checkbox rather Checklist.  This explains everything.  

Sorry for wasting your time.

I'm off to play with the real check list!

Thanks for your help

Carolyn

0 votes
Yves Riel [Okapya]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 13, 2016

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for the pictures. It clarifies things perfectly. I am truly sorry for asking as this will sound like a really stupid question but did you by any chance install other Checklist add-ons in your JIRA installation. The screenshots that you have provided do not look like checklist. For example, the edit image shows HTML standard checkboxes and Checklist (v3.x) doesn't use them. There are also other discrepancies as well such as the missing menus (Discretionary Options, Parameters) in the config page.

Two things come to mind:

1) You have installed Checklist along with other checklist types of add-on and the created customfield is not the Checklist Customfield Type. Can you make sure that the created customfield is the Okapya Checklist customfield?

2) Did you install a previous version of Checklist (v2.x or less) at some point in time? Maybe a long time ago? Maybe reinstalling v3.1.2 over an old version created this problem. Can you completely uninstall the add-on and re-install it to see if it fixes the problem?

Otherwise, can you take a look at JIRA's log file to see if any errors originate from Checklist?

Thanks,

Yves

0 votes

Hi Lyn

Thanks for your comment.

I can understand what you said in:

• It is also important that you check the configuration of the addon to see who is able to make changes to the checklists.   I have mine set for jira-users.

And this maybe what is causing my issue, but am not sure where you check/set this? As a user I have Edit permission on the project/ticket.

Thanks

Carolyn

0 votes

Hi,

Thanks for your comments.

First - we are using JIRA 6.4.14 - which is why we installed v3.1.2

Screen shots:

In the Admin Guide it indicates that when configuring a Checklist field there are two new setting -  Discretionary Options and Parameters - these are not present when we try to configure the field:

image2016-9-14 7:28:59.png

We assume that these Parameters allow you to set the field up so that in addition to the Global options set (in our test case Eat breakfast, Eat lunch and Eat Dinner) the User can add additional checklist items.  In the documentation this is indicated by clicking under the field on the screen and adding new lines into the checkbox.  This feature appealed to us as all of the checklist items are not relevant to each issue type or project. 

We can get the field into edit mode to select options on the list but can not add new items

image2016-9-14 7:34:31.png

The screen shot below shows the documentation of what we are wanting to be able to do:

image2016-9-14 7:36:4.png

We suspect we have either missed something in the set up of the plug in or the version we have doesn't allow it.  The documentation doesn't have a version number on it, so we don't know which version it applies to.

Thanks

Carolyn

0 votes
Yves Riel [Okapya]
Marketplace Partner
September 13, 2016

Hi Lyn,

Not being able to remove/edit items which are global is the expected behavior as these items should be the same across all the issues and be immutable. If you want them to be edited/removed then the mentioned method is the appropriate one.

Yves

0 votes
LynF September 12, 2016

We have observed much the same thing.   If we set the check lists as prepopulated they will not allow users to edit, add or delete items.   The workaround is to have the checklists populated on workflow transition.   Its a bit tricker but it works

Step 1.  Disable all checklist items at the field configuration screen (options)

Step 2:  Enable the checklists to populate at a particular workflow transition.   I have one on create and others later in the workflow 

Step 3:  Staff are able to add, edit and delete checklist items as required.  We are also able to use the name / date functions to have an indication of who is working on an item and when they expect to have it completed by. 

We are about to roll this into production in the next week, we are just going through some final testing.   By doing this we are able to meet the requirement of our staff that checklists are fully customisable but they are able to start from a generic base.

Notes:  

• Step 1 will have an immediate impact on the fields, so will affect all new issues.  There will be no impact on existing issues.  
  • Step 2 will have an impact on all issues depending on where the workflow changes are made.   If the change is only on Create transition there will be no change on In Progress for example.  
  • It is also important that you check the configuration of the addon to see who is able to make changes to the checklists.   I have mine set for jira-users.

We are running addon version 3.1.2 & JIRA version 6.4.6

Hope this helps

0 votes
Yves Riel [Okapya]
Marketplace Partner
September 12, 2016

Hi Carolyn,

Before anything, v3.1.2 is only compatible with JIRA 6.x So I assume that you are also working with JIRA 6.x

I take it that you want to add items directly at the issue level? If you see the checklist populated appearing on the issue, then it is probably correctly installed. If you click on the are "Type item here and press enter", can you type text in there?

I would really help if I could see what you are doing. An image would be nice, a small video even better. If you do not want to post the images here, you can send them to info "at" okapya "dot" com.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events