Checklist for JIRA: global items are unchecked when replacing other items.

Jonas Kylmä January 2, 2017

We are evaluating the Checklist for JIRA add-on, and have encountered a problem.

I have a checklist field with a number of global items.

I have added two modify functions to my workflow.

• one modify function adding items in transition "send to test"
  • one modify function replacing the items with one new items, this is done in transition "send back to developer"

When doing the "send back to developer", the added items are replaced, but the original items are unchecked, even if the modify functions do not have the "Uncheck All Items" selected in any of the functions.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jonas Kylmä January 4, 2017

Hello Yves, thanks for your answer.

So there is no way of being able to remove added items without resetting the status of the global items?

What I want to avoid is that a duplicate set of items are created when the issue is resent to the test team again.

Yves Riel [Okapya]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 5, 2017

Unfortunately not. So you want to only reset the "issue" items and leave the "global" items as is. I am curious to understand your use case, would you mind telling me?

Jonas Kylmä January 5, 2017

Sure. I will try to explain our use case:

The global items are typically what the developers need to do:

• Update requirements
  • Review requirements
  • Update Design
  • Implement
  • Develop unit test
  • Perform unit test

The added items is added when sending to test and is what the tester need to do:

• Define test specs
  • Review test specs
  • Develop test cases
  • Execute test cases.

So if tester finds a defect he will send back the issue.

When the defect has been resolved, the developer will send the issue to test again, this will then add a duplicate set of the added items.

You could of course argue that it is not completely wrong  that the original items are reset, since this needs to be “revisited”, but since it usually is just a matter of updating code and rerun unit test, we want to minimize the admin burden for the developers.

one alternative solution would be, if it is possible, to only add new items if they have not already been added. is it possible to have such a criteria?

Or would you recommend another way to solve this use case?
We would like to avoid adding all items from the beginning.

Yves Riel [Okapya]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 5, 2017

Thanks for the explanation!

I cannot think of any way of doing what you want with Checklist. The idea of only adding the item if it doesn't exist is good and could be useful for many customers but the way you use global and issue-level items is kind of unique to your organisation. I will add the idea or only adding item in a transition if they don't exist in my backlog.

Sorry if Checklist cannot fully handle your use case.

0 votes
Yves Riel [Okapya]
Marketplace Partner
January 4, 2017

Hi Jonas,

Thanks for trying out Checklist. When selecting "Replace", the old checklist is completely reset which also means that the global items are reset as well.

Regards,

Yves

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events